The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

TN: '06 Stadlmann Zierfandler Mandel-Hoh

by Michael Malinoski » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:06 pm

Zierfandler is a new offbeat white wine grape for me, with at least this bottle yielding fantastic results. If I recall correctly, Crush in NYC was pushing this wine as a white wine of the year for them, and I know that David S. in the WA gave it a real positive write-up. I have to agree with both sources:

2006 Stadlmann Zierfandler Mandel-Hoh Niederosterreich. This wine is a real eye-opener. It opens with lovely and lively aromas of orange blossoms, rosewater, honeydew melon, clover honey and soft tangerine that are delightfully engaging. In the mouth, it has a gentle tug of sweet fruit to it, along with a perfectly cohesive but gentle texture. It displays just enough lift and an easy-going acidic drive. Flavors of peach, grapefruit, chalk and white pepper are in fine balance and the wine feels just so refined and drinkable. This is just really nice.

-Michael
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: TN: '06 Stadlmann Zierfandler Mandel-Hoh

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:28 pm

Love this kinda post, learn something new! Dr Vino on his blog wrote this up recently and I have just found this....>

http://www.stadlmann-wein.at/index.php?page=111
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:20 pm

Zierfandler...now that's a new one, and the wine sounds wonderful. What was the cost, so we can put this in perspective?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Michael Malinoski

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:11 pm

Sudbury, MA

by Michael Malinoski » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:58 pm

$27 for a single bottle from Crush. Deeper discounts for 6-pack. No affiliations at all.

I thought it enlightening for that price. A bit too much to be an everyday sort of wine for me, but not so much that it would be just a special occasion wine, either.