The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Posts

5958

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Location

Niagara Falls, NY

WTN: 2006 Protocolo White

by Howie Hart » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:19 pm

I picked this up at a wine store in Lexington, KT a while back, where I met up with Bob Henrick. He recommended this as a good QPR. It had been sitting in my wine rack for over two years and I decided to open it yesterday. From another website:
Blend: 70% Airen, 30% Macabeo This wine comes from proprietary vineyards located around the towns of San Vicente de la Sonsierra and Laguardia at an altitude of 1,860 ft above sea level.
I've never heard of either of these grapes. Synthetic cork, light gold in color. A generous nose of apples and honeydew melons and a slight hint of anise. Good acid balance and a lingering, almost tannic finish. Decent wine. I'd give it a B on the Dale Scale. :wink:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Peter Finkelstein

Rank

Cellar rat

Posts

18

Joined

Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:05 pm

Re: WTN: 2006 Protocolo White

by Peter Finkelstein » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:33 pm

They also do a red wine.

Both are $9.99 or less at retail, and seem to be an excellent QPR.

Peter
User avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Posts

4348

Joined

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm

Location

Indiana

Re: WTN: 2006 Protocolo White

by Mark Lipton » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:54 pm

Howie Hart wrote:I picked this up at a wine store in Lexington, KT a while back, where I met up with Bob Henrick. He recommended this as a good QPR. It had been sitting in my wine rack for over two years and I decided to open it yesterday. From another website:
Blend: 70% Airen, 30% Macabeo This wine comes from proprietary vineyards located around the towns of San Vicente de la Sonsierra and Laguardia at an altitude of 1,860 ft above sea level.
I've never heard of either of these grapes.


Airen is IIRC the most widely planted grape in Spain. Macabeo shows up in a lot of white wines from Spain's Mediterranean coast, especially in cava and Priorat blanco (VS will no doubt catch any errors in what I've just posted). Of the two, I find Macabeo the more interesting (as best as I can tell from my limited exposure).

Mark Lipton
User avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Posts

2175

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:24 pm

Location

Snorbens, England

Re: WTN: 2006 Protocolo White

by Peter May » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:29 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:

Airen is IIRC the most widely planted grape in Spain.


And the world, at least in 1996 when there were a million acres of it in Spain according to Jancis Robinson's Guide to Wine Grapes
User avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Posts

5958

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Location

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: 2006 Protocolo White

by Howie Hart » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:00 pm

Peter May wrote:
Mark Lipton wrote:

Airen is IIRC the most widely planted grape in Spain.


And the world, at least in 1996 when there were a million acres of it in Spain according to Jancis Robinson's Guide to Wine Grapes
OK, so kick me out of the "rare" grape forum. :mrgreen:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
User avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Posts

2175

Joined

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:24 pm

Location

Snorbens, England

Re: WTN: 2006 Protocolo White

by Peter May » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:18 am

:lol:

Nahh, Airen is rarely mentioned on a label and I've only seen one varietal Airen in UK. I think most Airen goes for brandy.
User avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Posts

3972

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:35 pm

Location

Lexington, Ky.

Re: WTN: 2006 Protocolo White

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:37 pm

Peter May wrote::lol:

Nahh, Airen is rarely mentioned on a label and I've only seen one varietal Airen in UK. I think most Airen goes for brandy.


Peter, I wonder what "bulk" brandy goes for in Spain these days. I was there from 69-72 and then I could get rather decent brandy for 35P or about 50 cents for a liter if I brought my own bottle or bota. Of course Cruz Campo cervesa for a dollar per 24 12oz bottle case! Decent beer too!
Bob Henrick

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign