The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Would you pay $500 dollars for a bottle of wine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Is a $250 bottle of wine 10 times better than a $25 bottle?

Yes, most assuredly.
17%
No, not at all.
44%
Perhaps, but I can't afford to find out.
40%

Total votes : 48
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: Would you pay $500 dollars for a bottle of wine?

by Sam Platt » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:57 am

TimMc wrote:Here's to watching one's back *clink!*

Tim, If you really feel that you have to watch your back why bother coming here. It's a wine discussion board for Pete's sake! I come to relax, and learn with an emphasis on the relaxing part. If I felt that people were out to get me I wouldn't bother. I really don't think you will find a more affable group. I came here after eBob essentially said "piss-off" newbie. In my two plus years I haven't been demeaned, put-down, criticized, berated, denegrated, etc. by anyone. I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find something to take offense to, but it would require some imagination on my part. Take a deep breath, relax and enjoy.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:44 am

Joe:

I'm not cuddly?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:04 pm

Hoke wrote:Joe:

I'm not cuddly?

Like a little porcupine.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:08 pm

James Roscoe wrote:

I'm not cuddly?

Like a little porcupine.

That's just my internet personality, James. Joe knows how dull and avuncular I am in person.

And I think of it more as a hedgehog. Have you ever seen those? They're cute. Especially the babies.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:17 pm

Hoke wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:

I'm not cuddly?

Like a little porcupine.

That's just my internet personality, James. Joe knows how dull and avuncular I am in person.

And I think of it more as a hedgehog. Have you ever seen those? They're cute. Especially the babies.

I kinda figured that out. If I had thought of a hedgehog I would have used it . Porcupines are cute too, especially when young, They are also evocative of the American west and I think of you as a western type guy. (I actuallly doubt you're really prickly at all.)
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:04 pm

(I actuallly doubt you're really prickly at all.)

Oh, I expect you might get some disagreement with that statement, James.

From a few people, anyway. And I'm cool with that. :D
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:19 pm

Hoke wrote:
(I actuallly doubt you're really prickly at all.)

Oh, I expect you might get some disagreement with that statement, James.

From a few people, anyway. And I'm cool with that. :D

We all have our different personas. Just keep it real dude! (Is that stupid or what?)
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:46 pm

Hoke wrote:And I think of it more as a hedgehog. Have you ever seen those? They're cute. Especially the babies.

A narcoleptic baby hedgehog.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:02 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Tim,
Please listen to Joe's advice. None of this stuff is to be taken seriously.
Cheers!
James

Sam Platt wrote:

Tim, If you really feel that you have to watch your back why bother coming here. It's a wine discussion board for Pete's sake! I come to relax, and learn with an emphasis on the relaxing part. If I felt that people were out to get me I wouldn't bother. I really don't think you will find a more affable group. I came here after eBob essentially said "piss-off" newbie. In my two plus years I haven't been demeaned, put-down, criticized, berated, denegrated, etc. by anyone. I'm sure if I looked hard enough I could find something to take offense to, but it would require some imagination on my part. Take a deep breath, relax and enjoy.

OK...ok. I get the message.

Let's just say it was all a bad batch of unfortunate posts and just move on. I didn't come here to fight.

I seriously came here to learn. No kidding.

Sometimes we debaters need a swift kick in butt now and again, too.

Peace.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:16 pm

Sam Platt wrote:

You haven't been demeaned, put down, criticized, berated, etc. by anyone. I hate to tell you this Sam but you haven't said anything controversial. My God man were all waiting for the opportunity to jump all over your ass. Hoke, The Sinister Sonoman, Perry The Boston Wine Strangler, Bob Ross, The Merciless, etc.
These are the people I admire and with the time left for me on earth, I will try to emulate. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
no avatar
User

Graeme Gee

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:13 am

Sydney, Australia

by Graeme Gee » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:25 pm

Sheesh, I ignored this thread for so long, and just when I arrive with a jerrycan full of petrol (gas, for you northeners) and a box of matches I find an outbreak of cameraderie and lovey-dovey.

Timing, it's all in the timing.
cheers,
Graeme
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:34 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Tim, I appreciate the endorsement, and I have to admit I have a really high opinion of myself. :-)

But, there are so many other folks here that I hold in high regard, it would be awfully hard to single out myself, or Ian for that matter.

I could list all the folks that post here that I really respect, but let me cut to the chase:

We all admire people that have strong opinions and stick to them with facts and a certain respect for the people who hold different opinions. Here are a few opinions where you and I differ:

1. I like screw caps and the new glass closure and people that are trying to deliver wine to me that is free from taint.

2. I like wines from Napa and Sonoma, and a number of wine makers in those areas.

3. I enjoy reaching for expesive wines, more than I can really afford, frankly, and then sharing them with other wine lovers.

4. I like people with fighting spirit, who are willing to take a position and fight it out on the merits. Especially if it's an unpopular position.

[One example: in a "River Runs Through It" -- the book although the movie has its moments -- I get chills when I remember the father asking if his dead son's right hand was broken -- and smiling with pleasure when the answer was yes.]

You bring a great deal of value to this board -- look at all the posts you've generated with a really ridiculous premise. Two of them actually. As I've written to you privately, please continue to post.

It's not that we are a bunch of old farts that don't like dissent -- most of us are contrarians as far as I can tell. It's just that we don't take any of it personally. The ideas and the wines are what we love and what we are mostly passionate about. (Although, we sometimes get irritated at each other's oddities -- and then all bets are off -- at least for awhile.)

In any event, you have a fresh, interesting voice, and you have a fighting spirit I really enjoy. I hope you'll keep posting.

Regards, Bob

Actually, Bob, we agree on more than you think....with one notable exception :wink:

I enjoy all but one that you listed. I love the high end wines and the biggest wine thrill for me is in the nose and on the palate; the leather or anise in the nose, the chocolate or berry on the palate or the velvety smooth finish. When I find a wine that does things like this, I could just swirl and sniff all day long....and maybe take a sip or two.

The Dominus', the Far Niente's, Gran Cru's, the small batch wines, the lesser known vintages or wineries of the wine world are what I live for, Bob.

I am angered that all of those wines and more have been snatched away from me for no other reason then the price that I can no longer afford. Perhaps I have lashed out on this BBS and expressed myself badly towards folks I have never met. I honestly do not know where else to register my deepest disdain for those who place the importance of money before the Art of Wine.

I guess it's like anything else in this country: Nobody seems to value the Art anymore. It's all about the profit and the profit maker and it sickens as it saddens me. My posts may or may not accurately reflect that, but this is where my heart is when it comes to wine and the expert crafting of it.

I appreciate the kind words, Bob. I really do....and I will do my best to heed their meanings.

If I don't you have my permission to give me a sharp jab in the ribs now and again, OK? :wink:

Bob Ross wrote:PS: Let me make you a deal: I'll send you a few bottles under cork -- your choice from a list I've sent to other folks on this board. Your only obligation: post your tasting notes. [My basic bitch about you, frankly, is that I have absolutely no idea what you think about wine. Any wine.

Unless you post some tasting notes, how can I judge your palate?]

B.

I can't ask you to do that, Bob....but if you would like I could offer you my take on wines I have had and will drink from time to time.

Send me a PM and we'll go from there, OK?

Peace.
Last edited by TimMc on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:39 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:I hate to tell you this Sam but you haven't said anything controversial. My God man were all waiting for the opportunity to jump all over your ass.

Lou, It may have slipped your mind that I once said I did not particularly care for Sancerre. I think you would agree that's some pretty controversial shez-nit. I didn't see anyone coming for a piece of me on that one! Of course I did leave the door open for recommendations on a Sancerre that I might possibly enjoy, and if anyone is offended by my dislike of Sancerre I apologize ahead of time... :D
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:48 pm

Sam, when you least expect it.... :)

Hey, no problem if you don't like Sancerre. Seriously. More for the rest of us!

As I recall, you like the underripe, overharvested, young vine, green pepper and papaya juice stuff from NZ, right?

As a slut for Sauvignon Blanc, I like both. And all the rest.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:46 pm

Hoke wrote:Sam, when you least expect it.... :)

As I recall, you like the underripe, overharvested, young vine, green pepper and papaya juice stuff from NZ, right?

As a slut for Sauvignon Blanc, I like both. And all the rest.

It must be a flaw in character, I like both also.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:20 pm

Will do, Tim. PM in the morrow sometime. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:30 am

Fair enough.
Previous