The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Grilled shrimp skewers and a great Douro white!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:51 pm

I marinaded some shrimp in dry herb mix, garlic, ginger and olive oil. Served with mushroom risotto and mixed green salad with a raspberry vinaigrette dressing. On discussing a possible wine/food match, Anastasia suggested the Douro Castello d`Alba white we enjoyed about a year ago. As you will see, a pretty good match!

WTN: `06 Castello d`Alba Douro Reserva Branco.

This is my 3rd bottle, $18 Cdn, very under-rated in my opinion. The non-oaked red is a terrific wine too.

Color. Medium straw, no green.

Nose. More floral than 9 months ago, still has that grassy Sauv Blanc edge but with tropical fruit in spades. "More apple this time around".

Palate. I knew the oak barrel treatment but this was fine. Good acidity, off-dry, lengthy finish. Like the citrus element here which blends well with the restrained passion fruit and melon. Certainly not a tropical fruit bomb, went well with the shrimp but not so great with the rice.

*** Have started drawing up food ideas for my `96 white Musar. Possibly grilled eggplant and artichokes if I can find them?
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Grilled shrimp skewers and a great Douro white!

by Sue Courtney » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:21 am

so that's an Albertan verison of prawns on the Barbie!
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:06 pm

Not really, smaller shrimp was all I could find in my freezer!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:09 pm

Is the grape Sauvignon Blanc? You make that reference but you don't quite say it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:27 pm

Jenise wrote:Is the grape Sauvignon Blanc? You make that reference but you don't quite say it.

Nope Jenise! Blend of Codega do Larinho, Robigato and Viosinho...pretty obscure eh.
I should have mentioned this in my original post.