Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A message to you voyeurs out there

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

A message to you voyeurs out there

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:38 pm

This may be the wine talking, but we know there's lots of you voyeurs out there--those of you who only look but never join in our discussions.

FLDGers are a disparate group. We're not snobs and we don't bite (except perhaps for Stuart, but his teeth aren't very sharp). So why don't you tap a few keys on your keyboard and join in? Otherwise, it's boring if I'm the only one talking.

I love talking about food and I know everyone else on this forum does, too. Trust me, we'll be gentle with you.
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: A message to you voyeurs out there

by TimMc » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:40 pm

Well...not exactly.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:48 pm

That's really laying out the welcome mat.
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:12 am

Okay, so maybe ther are a few more than just Stuart; but they've all had their shots. Honestly, you can trust me on this.

(Oh yeah, I think Jenise has been seen shopping for some extra large muzzles as well).
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:56 am

I like to watch....

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:23 am

So do I, but I'm not talking about posters with 293 messages under their belt. There's plenty of people out there with 0-1 messages. There are topics with over 1,000 views, but only a handful of replies.

Don't be bashful!
no avatar
User

Scott Hinson

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:48 pm

Austin, TX

by Scott Hinson » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:25 am

Don't be bashful!

When I have nothing to say I keep my mouth shu....

<oops>

Scott
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:47 am

Larry Greenly wrote:I love talking about food and I know everyone else on this forum does, too. Trust me, we'll be gentle with you.

Larry, great effort, but I'm afraid you're embarked on a noble but hopeless cause. After 21 years of moderating online communities (I just realized the other day that all this started on CompuServe in the autumn of 1985!), I've pretty much concluded that just about any online forum is going to have a lurker-to-poster ratio of at least 10 to 1, and in more daunting fields like wine and cooking, maybe 50 to 1 or 100 to 1. An awful lot of folks just love to read forums but are nervous/shy/afraid/unwilling to post.

We're still glad to have them. And as you say, we <i>love</i> it when a new active participant comes out of the closet. Or the woodwork. Over the transom. Whatever. :)

But in all these years, I've never had much luck in changing that ratio.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:27 pm

I don't mind beating the drum even if it is futile. Maybe we'll get just one newbie. We'll see. This message will self-destruct in 30 seconds.
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:29 am

Robin Garr wrote:I've pretty much concluded that just about any online forum is going to have a lurker-to-poster ratio of at least 10 to 1, and in more daunting fields like wine and cooking, maybe 50 to 1 or 100 to 1. An awful lot of folks just love to read forums but are nervous/shy/afraid/unwilling to post.

I lurked for a long time before I ever posted here, and I still lurk more than I post, but not for nerves/shyness/fear/willingness, I just don't always have that much to say. I did, however, have a HORRIBLE experience on another forum <coughtauntoncough> that was NOWHERE near as accepting/hospitable/friendly, to the point of being rude and nasty.

I'm on here alot, there's always something fun going on.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:05 am

[quote=
I lurked for a long time before I ever posted here, and I still lurk more than I post, but not for nerves/shyness/fear/willingness, I just don't always have that much to say. I did, however, have a HORRIBLE experience on another forum <coughtauntoncough> that was NOWHERE near as accepting/hospitable/friendly, to the point of being rude and nasty.

I'm on here alot, there's always something fun going on.[/quote]

I also look more than I post, but there's scads of people who have zero postings (just look at the members tab). The only time knives fly around here is if the conversation turns political, which we kinda try to avoid.

Otherwise, we like and welcome newbies and their new food subjects they bring to the table. FLDG is a big family; I'd like to see it even bigger.