This forum will be used as a read-only archive for older WTN posts and other archival material from The Wine Forum.
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2002 Bdx and Clos Roche Blanche #5

by Dale Williams » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:34 pm

With pasta and pesto, the 2004 Clos Roche Blanche "Numero 5" Sauvignon (Touraine). Rich Sauvignon catpee/gooseberry nose, with some grapefruit/Fresca© notes over gooseberry and green apple fruit (I like Fresca, the only soft drink I ever buy). A little too cold at first, as it warmed some mineral/flinty notes appeared on a fairly long finish. Now, at some point I seem to have some memory (real? imagined?) that an earlier vintage of the #5 was supposed to be a section that got some botrytis, but I don't get any sign of that here. What I do get is some rich ripe deep Sauvignon Blanc fruit (to tell you the truth, blind I would probably guessed NZ, but damn good NZ), but with the mineral notes adding a lot of complexity.  Nice interesting wine. B+

As noted before, I picked up a half-bottle of the 2002 Pagodes de Cos (St. Estephe) for $9 since I had quite liked the 2002 Cos d'Estournel. Opened a half while baching it Thursday. Lots of oak, and surprisingly big/hard tannins for a second. But there's quite a bit of cassis and blackberry fruit. Might be decent if the oak integrates in a few years. I might pick up a few more 375s next time I'm through Scarsdale for 2010 or so, but if they sell out before I get there I won't cry. B/B-

With a small steak and a red-wine & shallot sauce, the 2002 Ch. Lagrange (St. Julien). Dense deep blackcurrant/cassis fruit, earth and leather on the nose, but not quite as expressive as a few months ago - I think this is shutting down a bit. At moment a B/B+, but this is an excellent structured wine for the price ($22) that needs to allowed to rest a bit.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.  
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: TN: 2002 Bdx and Clos Roche Blanche #5

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:55 pm

I've yet to have any '02 bordeaux, Dale. It sure looks I'd either better hurry up or be patient until they reopen.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:06 pm

How long you been here Bill? 32 posts eh!! Anyway I am in at last. Thanks for the heads up.
I was just beginning to understand the old place, now I have to start all over again!!??
How on earth are we going to do WT101 here??
Off to try to buy some Garretson, who is in town for 2 days. Gonna try to meet him!
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:11 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Clos Roche Blanche

Gotta love those guys!

Glad you made it in, Dale!
User

Otto

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Otto » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:52 am

A pity to hear that some 02s are closing down. I've really enjoyed some of them, most recently two rather New Wordly wines: Mouton and Lunch-Bags. Both were open and wonderful wines. The 02s aren't quite as much to my taste as the 01s but still I like them very much. They're relatively cheap too, which is always nice ;)

Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:43 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:A pity to hear that some 02s are closing down. I've really enjoyed some of them, most recently two rather New Wordly wines: Mouton and Lunch-Bags. Both were open and wonderful wines. The 02s aren't quite as much to my taste as the 01s but still I like them very much. They're relatively cheap too, which is always nice ;)

Otto

Price has been one of the primary attractions to me. The L-Bages showed pretty poorly at our 2002 vertical, but that was one bottle- glad to know it's better than that. In addition to the Lagrange, my favorites (at various price points) have been Sociando, Cos d'Estournel, and Pape Clement. I own and like Leoville Poyferre and Barton, but I think they have shut down hard from reports from friends. Latour was head and shoulders above other wines at our horizontal, but it's got enough buzz that prices are 10-20% above other 1sts.