The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Vieux Chateau Certan 1969-1990 + more fun stuff!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Vieux Chateau Certan 1969-1990 + more fun stuff!

by Saina » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:33 pm

Tonight we had a nice little tasting of mostly off-vintage VCC. Having recently tasted the 1972 and 1973 VCCs I came to realise that they make proper Bx that, at least in off-vintages, is immensely appealing to me. I'll have to say though, that the better vintages are mighty fine also! ;)

In typical fashion, all were served half blind, but atypically, we didn't have a fully blind joker inserted this time:

Vieux Chateau Certan 1969

Healthy colour. The nose was soft and sweet, typical old Bordeaux, with a hint of rye bread suggesting that it's a bit too old. The palate had fine fruit still, but the acids were a bit out of synch. Fine still, in fact extremely enjoyable, but still obviously on its last legs. It's still a wine that I will gladly drink whenever, but maybe 5 years ago it would have been a great favourite with me.

VCC 1979

A lovely nose. A bit minty, with a rather prominent blueberry note to all the typical notes one finds in VCC (which are actually a bit odd: there's much Cabernets in it, so it seems sort of half left, half right bank to me - and a perfect mix of the two!). Fine palate, well balanced, with fine acidity on the finish, but a bit too soft on the mid-palate. Nice stuff!

VCC 1978

Deliciously bretty, Cabernet Franc-like nose. There is fine minerality and balance on the palate. Refreshing and long.

VCC 1987 (magnum)

Sweet, peaches in sugar water, but with lovely savoury, Cab F-like notes also, leafy. The palate was strongly fruity, perfectly balanced, deliciously bitter, refreshingly acidic and long. What is it about VCC that they make off-vintages so well?

VCC 1990

Corked. But not very badly, so in the beginning it gave immense pleasure. The structure especially seemes perfectly in synch with the fruit and there was fine acidity also. I'd love to get a good bottle.

VCC 1983

Utterly closed at first. It did open up well, but was raisiny, over-ripe to me, jammy, with red apples. Fine, but uninspiring. It had so many over-ripe notes that I was certain it was the 1990! ;)

Finally the fully blind stuff:

Ch La Nerthe 2000 CdP

Vegetal and earthy nose, but very, very sweet. It had hints of pepper and coca-cola. The palate was very sweet also and had too much alcohol. I thought it was Amarone with a bit of age on it, despite the lack of raisins on the nose. I liked bits and pieces of the wine, but as a whole it didn't please. A pity, as I usually tend to like Nerthe.

Ch Montrose 2003

What the f**k is this? Banana bread and honey on the nose with blueberry milkshake. The palate is totally out of synch with the nose: big, extracted, but dry fruit rather than sweet, much tannins, low acidity. Freakish wine. Not to my taste.

Kracher Zwischen dem Seen Muskat TBA #5 1995 11%

Botrytis, botrytis, botrytis. I like it. It has lots of acidity. :)

Chambers (Rosewood Vineyards) Grand Muscat Rutherglen NV

Rancio!!!! Intense, charred, earthy and oxidised nose. Similar palate, very, very sweet, but very savoury also. I love this sort of dessert!
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: Vieux Chateau Certan 1969-1990 + more fun stuff!

by Mark S » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:11 pm

Otto -

what? No 1986? Have 1 bottle of this left and deciding when to open it.
Last time I had it (about 5 years ago) it didn't "wow" me.

Mark
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:15 pm

wow, 1983 VCC as overripe? Not how I remember at all.

Thanks for notes, I'm a VCC fan.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:50 pm

By the way, I think some friends had a horizontal of '79s (I was invited, but couldn't, damn!) last spring. Good showings overall, but think the VCC was one of the standouts -nice stuff indeed.

When I had the '83, I liked a lot, a few found a tad green. Do you think your bottle was pristine? I wonder if a light cooking -which can make me think raisiny- might have marred your bottle.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:02 pm

Mark S wrote:Otto -

what? No 1986? Have 1 bottle of this left and deciding when to open it.
Last time I had it (about 5 years ago) it didn't "wow" me.

Mark

No. Don't think I've ever tasted it, but based on experience with other traditional style producers, I'd say that the 86s are veeeeery slow to mature. I'd give it maybe 10 years if it was my only bottle, just basing on past performance and general nature of the vintage. Sorry, can't help more.

Dale Williams wrote:wow, 1983 VCC as overripe? Not how I remember at all.

Thanks for notes, I'm a VCC fan.

I'm starting to think we got the 90 and 83 decanters mixed up. The corked wine was of the herbal character I've noticed with many 83s, while the one thought to be 83 was so over-ripe - just like the recent 90s that I've been tasting. Of course a slight cooked character would be like that. But would cooking cause such a youthful colour as well?

-otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.