The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WSJ feature story bullish on wine shipping

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

WSJ feature story bullish on wine shipping

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:47 am

Thanks to whoever sent me this link (it came from an unfamiliar E-mail address). It's an interesting Wall Street Journal story about interstate wine shipping, featuring Gary Vaynerchuk of Wine Library, a New Jersey store that's made quite a business of online sales.

The story strikes me as a little more optimistic about Internet sales than I'd be, and while it recognizes the role of the wholesalers, may underestimate their political force. Interesting stuff, in any case, worth a read.

Here's a link to the story, which it appears will be free of registration for a week or so.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

Re: WSJ feature story bullish on wine shipping

by wrcstl » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:54 am

Saw the article this morning over my raisin bran but did not have time to read it. My first impression is at least the issue is getting press and that applies pressure. We are getting gains and losses but overall I think things are headed in the right direction.
Walt
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:44 am

Thanks for posting, Robin. As a guess, Gary's outfit probably sent the link. He is a relentless publicist for his site, although very, very careful to stop sending emails if you ask him to.

A very clever marketing guy, with a new and beautiful store. His reviews are fascinating; he has a wall of his reccos in the store -- with a range from $5 to $250 wines. Always a fun read. :-)

The Times had a nice review of the shop and Gary at http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A9639C8B63

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Remo Perriello

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:53 pm

Bronxville,NY

by Remo Perriello » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Thanks to whoever sent me this link (it came from an unfamiliar E-mail address). It's an interesting Wall Street Journal story about interstate wine shipping, featuring Gary Vaynerchuk of Wine Library, a New Jersey store that's made quite a business of online sales.

The story strikes me as a little more optimistic about Internet sales than I'd be, and while it recognizes the role of the wholesalers, may underestimate their political force. Interesting stuff, in any case, worth a read.

Here's a link to the story, which it appears will be free of registration for a week or so.

Nice article. Yes, I agree with you about the Internet Sales, with those numbers I'd close the brick and mortar store and just do Internet! Sounds like Zachys numbers...

In addition to Bob's link to the NY Times article, where did the writer get, "only 40 percent of sales." for the Internet. Emphasis on ONLY... I just started selling Wines on my website in Feb 05. I am still trying to break even with my monthly $500/month Ecommerce Service!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:51 pm

Gary's father started a very popular discount bricks and mortar shop, and it has recently been greatly expanded, Remo. It still attracts a very loyal local following; I often order on the Internet, but like dropping by to pick up my purchases, and shoot the breeze with the staff.
no avatar
User

Remo Perriello

Rank

Wine geek

Bronxville,NY

by Remo Perriello » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:55 pm

Thats great, Bob. As a startup Wine Shop, I understand the value of a loyal following... I watched some of Gary's tv episodes and he definitely has a knack with the wines. Some of them I carry, which was nice to hear how he described them.

Not to get off track or lead this thread elsewhere, I noticed you live in Franklin Lakes. I live in Ridgefield, NJ, I used to play golf in Franklin Lakes, (when I had a life...) (Black Bear, Wild Turkey, etc...) I love it out there.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:34 pm

I'm not a golfer, but sure love living in Franklin Lakes. Where is your shop? I'll be delighted to stop by and try some of your wines.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Remo Perriello

Rank

Wine geek

Bronxville,NY

by Remo Perriello » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:37 pm

I'd love to see you in my store. I actually live in NJ, but my Wine Shop is in Westchester County, NY. You can checkout my wines on my website, which is always a work in progress... http://www.perrielloscantina.com

I will send you an email offline about upcoming Trade Show Wine Events in NYC that I just sent to my Wine Members List... I hate going alone to taste faboulous wines, all for FREE... lol..
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:31 pm

I'll sign up for your emails, Remo. Thanks. Bob