The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Yankton, SD

Turkey Pastrami and Gigondas

by Ryan M » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:14 pm

Last weekend I smoked home-made turkey pastrami on the grill (pastrami is a curing process, not a specific type of meat), and paired it with a Guigal Gigondas - in fact, the 1982 that I was lamenting a while back after somewhat unintentionally acquiring it via online auction. Yes, I will post my note for the wine at some point, but suffice to say it was more than drinkable, and even a relative wine-novice friend of mine enjoyed. Anyway, since I had no expectations for the wine, I figured I'd pair it with a simple meal, although I had a hunch the earthiness and acidity of the wine would work well with the turkey and heavy seasoning. It was quite a nice match.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 6:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

Re: Turkey Pastrami and Gigondas

by michael dietrich » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:16 pm

So what was your preparation for the turkey pastrami ? Did you just use a turkey breast ?
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Yankton, SD

by Ryan M » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:27 pm

michael dietrich wrote:So what was your preparation for the turkey pastrami ? Did you just use a turkey breast ?

Recipe is out of Steven Raichlen's "How to Grill." Whole turkey breast, skin on, remove the backbone, put on the rub (a whole slew of spices and seasonings) and let cure for 24 hours, then smoke over an indirect fire for about 2 hours. Served room temp, on pumpernickle, with brown deli mustard and Swiss.

And I'd imagine any CdR would work well with it, although the Pastrami is very flavorful, and you might need something like Gigondas to answer it: even the 27-year-old I served brought that extra richness. Chateauneuf would be fabulous with it. Of course, Chateauneuf is fabulous in and of itself!
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 6:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:24 pm

Have you ever been to the virtualweberbullet.com site ? It has lots of great BBQ info.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:45 pm

I am very glad the '82 Gigondas worked out well for you.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Yankton, SD

by Ryan M » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:21 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I am very glad the '82 Gigondas worked out well for you.

Thanks David - like I said, I will get a note up sometime soon - I've got a whole summer's worth of unposted notes, and need to find to time to type them all up.
Galileo Galilei