The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Connecticut

WTN: 06 Wittmann Westhofener Aulerde Riesling Großes Gewächs

by Salil » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:19 pm

(Whew, that just fit)

Opened this a few weeks ago, figured I'd post a TN now for the Focus theme (as I hadn't done so earlier).

This starts out slightly austere with an intense mineral character dominating; all rocks and seawater (my friend's comment: "This came from grapes - how on EARTH does it smell so salty?"), but with time gains richness and picks up exotic tropical flavours of pineapple, melon and lychee with a jab of tart grapefruit on the back end before finishing with another wave of seawater and rocks. Really fun to sit down and follow this over a couple of hours.
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:52 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 06 Wittmann Westhofener Aulerde Riesling Großes Gewächs

by David M. Bueker » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:26 pm

Thanks for posting this back here. As mentioned on the main forum, I had this on Saturday night & was impressed but found it a touch closed.
There behind the glass lies a real blade of grass. Be careful as you pass. Move along. Move along.
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 06 Wittmann Westhofener Aulerde Riesling Großes Gewächs

by Salil » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:41 pm

From the GGs/big trockens I've had so far I get the impression they all benefit and transform massively with air, more than any other wines I've come across.

I've noticed that trend with a lot of others (particularly Keller von der Fels, 06 Hermannshohle GG and Weil's Grafenberg) - that they all started out very minerally and austere with little or no fruit, but with air really gained in terms of depth and flavour and blossomed (with the Weil and Donnhoff becoming surprisingly creamy and glossy with time).

I'm really starting to get into the Grosses Gewachs these days (a concept/style I generally hated a year ago) - I find the better examples in this style are incredibly dynamic and really amazing to sit and follow over a few hours.