The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 6:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

Cooper Mountain 2007 Pinot Noir Mountain Terroir

by michael dietrich » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:25 pm

My sales rep brought this by about a week ago. It is biodynamic and about 13.6%. I think that it shows well for the 2007 vintage of Oregon Pinot. In the nose you get that nice forest floor, mushroom aromas. It has more of the red fruits on the palate. It shows very nice complexity now and it continued to evolve more over the next 3 days. Cooper Mountain is one of the few biodynamic here in Oregon. This wine is now $28 here locally.
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

West Linn, Oregon

Re: Cooper Mountain 2007 Pinot Noir Mountain Terroir

by michael dietrich » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:22 pm

I should also mention that they have a very informative website to do with organic and biodynamic. It is coopermountainwine.com. Be sure and find the powerpoint presentation. I also should have said that the Mountain Terroir is certifide biodynamic.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:27 pm

The flavor profile sounds like one I would like and the price is quite reasonable for Oregon Pinot Noir. Michael, are you in the wine industry?
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:58 pm

michael dietrich wrote:I should also mention that they have a very informative website to do with organic and biodynamic. It is coopermountainwine.com. Be sure and find the powerpoint presentation. I also should have said that the Mountain Terroir is certifide biodynamic.

I will look up your link.
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:39 am

I have been selling wine here in Oregon for about 30 years between restaurants and retail. The last 19 have been with a grocery chain called Fred Meyer. We have 14 stores here in the Portland metro area where we, as wine stewards, get to buy for each of our stores. If you went into each store they are very different in what they carry. It has been lots of fun finding all these wines. They also have some in Washington state.
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:27 pm

Michael, thanks for this TN.

Cooper Mountain had some rough years when they were first getting going. They released some sketchy product a couple of times when they were first developing and "finding their way" with their farming techniques and their grapes. Think it was more a development cycle than anything else...the techniques and the vineyards had to mature. But they perservered, god bless 'em, and I think you're right: they are turning out some decent stuff these days.

That's one of the problems of organics/biodynamics---and all new pathways, really: there is a period of development, of learning, of becoming accustomed to dealing with the new, before stability can be reached. Takes patience. And a certain bit of understanding and patience on the part of the consumer too, I think.