The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

No more "hand carried" wine in flights

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: No more "hand carried" wine in flights

by James Roscoe » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:43 pm

Just to add to what Robin said, Im pretty sure it's a lot safer to get on a plane than to drive your car to get groceries. Yet we get in the car all the time without thinking. Flying in an airplane is one of the statistacly, safer activities in which we engage. I wonder why so many people are frightened by it.
no avatar
User

jeremy johnson

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:28 pm

Louisville, KY

by jeremy johnson » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:56 pm

People are afraid of flying because of the lack of control. If you're driving the car you can convince yourself that everything will be fine because of course YOU aren't goin to wreck the car...you can convince yourself to not think about all the other drivers out there.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:01 pm

For what it's worth, I flew yesterday from Spokane to Baltimore (connecting in Minneapolis) with six bottles of wine from Walla Walla. In the past, I'd always lugged them on board with me but with that option gone, I bought a shipping box from a winery with styrofoam slots for six bottles and checked it through. It seemed well-protected and insulated. and everything came out fine -- no breaks, no spills, no sign of too much heat (despite the 96 degree temperature in Spokane). Even if they change the rules to allow bottles on board, I'd probably go this route again. Easier on the back and shoulders, especially when you have to change planes that are half-a-mile away.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:38 pm

jeremy johnson wrote:People are afraid of flying because of the lack of control. If you're driving the car you can convince yourself that everything will be fine because of course YOU aren't goin to wreck the car...you can convince yourself to not think about all the other drivers out there.

Jeremy, you are spot on. I guess having been a lawyer and done enough car-wreck cases, I know what real control you have when you drive. Most people don't take the other people on the road into consideration when they drive. People make mistakes at a fairly predictable rate. Thus auto accidents are predictable and often pretty gruesome.
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

by Agostino Berti » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:40 pm

I was flying from LA to Korea a week ago. I bought a bottle of water at the airport bookstore and went to the x-ray screening to get to my gate. The security took my sealed bottle of water. I told the guy he could open it and I would drink it. It was sealed and they sold the same water in the magazine shop in the gate area after the check!
I told him I needed my (unsealed) bottle of saline solution and he said that was fine. How weird is that?
Previous