Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Good chile news

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Good chile news

by Larry Greenly » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:11 am

Hatch, NM has gotten the green light to hold its annual chile fest this coming weekend, even though the town was under water a couple of weeks ago. NM has been experiencing torrential rains all summer (it's so weird!), but luckily Hatch's chile fields were spared. Chile wilt from all the water is still a lurking possibility, though.

My friend has already purchased about a dozen 30-lb sacks of chile, roasted and peeled them, and froze them in his chile-only freezer.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Good chile news

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:16 am

Larry Greenly wrote:Hatch, NM has gotten the green light to hold its annual chile fest this coming weekend, even though the town was under water a couple of weeks ago. NM has been experiencing torrential rains all summer (it's so weird!), but luckily Hatch's chile fields were spared. Chile wilt from all the water is still a lurking possibility, though.

My friend has already purchased about a dozen 30-lb sacks of chile, roasted and peeled them, and froze them in his chile-only freezer.

Lucky dawg! Around here, we get Hatch chilies in cans. :p
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:19 am

Our local Raley's just got a shipment of Hatch chilies. I bought a big bag of them and made a chicken enchillada casserole last night that was very tasty. This week I will use up the rest in some sort of yummy dish. I like blackening them on our gas grill.
no avatar
User

Niki (Dayton OH)

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 am

Dayton OH

by Niki (Dayton OH) » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Larry

Would you be willing to ship me a 30 or 40 lb sack of chiles? I'd be happy to send you the money in advance. The last time I was in Abq in Sept, I brought home a 40 lb bag of raw chiles, then roasted, peeled, and froze them the day I got home, and everyone has been clamoring for more ever since.

Please email me and let me know....

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,

Niki
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:08 pm

Let me check into shipping possibilities.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:55 am

[/quote]I bought a big bag of them and made a chicken enchillada casserole last night that was very tasty.

Karen, could you post that recipe, please. I just bought some of those peppers and roasted them. I'd never heard of them until I started reading about them here.

Thanks.