The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Chablis La Forest from Vincent Dauvissat

by Tim York » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:02 am

Chablis Premier Cru "La Forest” 2006 – Vincent Dauvissat – Alc. 13% - (€23,50 for 2007)

Having in mind Antoine Gerbelle’s comments about Vincent Dauvissat’s wines’ providing organic typicity, I reached for this bottle only to discover that, though in the course of conversion to biodynamics, the estate is still not “officially” organic. But so excellent is this wine as an example of Chablis’ being my ideal expression of Chardonnay that I post my TN here nevertheless.
C: Yellow with slight green tints.
N: Quite discreet but a lovely combination of white flowers and white fruit (including citrus) with flinty minerals.
P: Very dry, medium/light bodied but perfectly balanced and focused with its aromas and fruit similar to the nose, bracing acidity, tension, and minerality tempered by the right amount of depth and “gras” and a firm gently bitter and saline finish; 17/20++.

I did not detect the “typically organic” light “fortifying” oxidative touch which Gerbelle claims to find but on the other hand the allegedly “typical” salinity was there.

Bettane/Desseauve, in their authoritative annual Grand Guide, recommend some ageing to bring out the best in this estate’s wines but I have read reports of poxed bottles of 2002, I think. Prudence indicates drinking up quickly; no hardship there :D .
Tim York
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: Chablis La Forest from Vincent Dauvissat

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Nice, those are the kind of Chablis notes I like to read! Will be interesting to see how the notes change if you have another in a couple of years Tim.
Makes me want to open another `05 Leflaive!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:11 am

Some Chablis fans claim that the 05s are too fat to be typical. I don't have any in my cellar but I see what they mean from tastings. It would interesting to see what you think even if Olivier is not organic.
Tim York
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:53 pm

Tim York wrote:Some Chablis fans claim that the 05s are too fat to be typical. I don't have any in my cellar but I see what they mean from tastings. It would interesting to see what you think even if Olivier is not organic.

Speaking as a typical Chablis fan, I can say that '00, '02 and '04 were far more to my liking than '05. I haven't had any '06s yet to see if the even year trend holds. Nice note, Tim. Dauvissat Père (René) made my entrée to Chablis: the '85 Les Preuses, a wine that shall be forever graven on my taste buds. I certainly don't have enough experience to fully generalize, but my experiences with this domaine have been most favorable with the Les Clos and Les Preuses and less so with the La Forest (love the Anglicization of the name, though). All of their wines are fine, however, and define for me what Chablis is all about.

Thanks,
Mark Lipton
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:08 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Tim York wrote:Some Chablis fans claim that the 05s are too fat to be typical. I don't have any in my cellar but I see what they mean from tastings. It would interesting to see what you think even if Olivier is not organic.

Speaking as a typical Chablis fan, I can say that '00, '02 and '04 were far more to my liking than '05. I haven't had any '06s yet to see if the even year trend holds. Nice note, Tim. Dauvissat Père (René) made my entrée to Chablis: the '85 Les Preuses, a wine that shall be forever graven on my taste buds. I certainly don't have enough experience to fully generalize, but my experiences with this domaine have been most favorable with the Les Clos and Les Preuses and less so with the La Forest (love the Anglicization of the name, though). All of their wines are fine, however, and define for me what Chablis is all about.

Thanks,
Mark Lipton

*sigh*

Yeah, Dauvissat, Raveneau, and a very soft spot in my heart for the Domaine de la Moutonne for epiphanetic purposes (but only so-so for other Bichot offerings usually). And the good LeFevres. Brocard can be brilliant, but they've been so haphazard for me that I can't put them in the same exalted rank.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:14 am

Never had the Dauvissat La Forest, but I do own some 04's that I look forward to opening when they're ready. Btw, I'm a come-lately fan of Chablis, and for once in my life the timing's right: in anticipation of the 07's, the prices on the excellent 06's have been good.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov