The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

FYI: The Wine Spectator and I are kaput!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

FYI: The Wine Spectator and I are kaput!!

by Bruce Hayes » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:09 pm

As I said, FYI. Not really sure why I am telling you guys (and gals) this, but, after almost 18 years (wow) together, the WS and I have called it quits. The root cause, although there were many, is being cited as the usual "irreconcilible differences", which basically translates as, when I first started subscribing in December of 1988 (wow, again), it was a magazine about wine and now, well, now, I don't know what the hell the magazine is about.

However, I do know this: it isn't about me.

So, there you have it. I have several large boxes of back issues stored in my basement which I, in all probability, will never read. With the exchange (I live in Ontario), the magazine really wasn't worth it for me.

I can get all the wine info I need from this and other (sorry Robin) web-based forums.

As the old saying goes, "Today is the first day of the rest of my life."

So long Marvin. The first dozen years were great. The last half dozen were just plain strange.

Thank you for listening, oh, I mean, reading. :D
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: FYI: The Wine Spectator and I are kaput!!

by Bob Henrick » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:13 pm

Bruce, lessons are learned at our own rate. I subscribed for about 6 years way back when it was more of a newspaper style publication. It started that way without the slick paper and all the advertising. The advertising and slick paper is what caused me to drift away. I am sure that you are going to soon learn that you are better off without them.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:27 pm

I get it free through work (whether I like it or not), and it STILL isn't worth it.

-Bill
no avatar
User

Remo Perriello

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:53 pm

Bronxville,NY

by Remo Perriello » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:14 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:I get it free through work (whether I like it or not), and it STILL isn't worth it.

-Bill

Bruce, thanks for sharing. I am sure you will feel a lot better when you get your final issue...

Bill, I give away my copies of WS to my customers... I have a sign that reads, "Complimentary copy, please take..." :lol:
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:23 pm

Nicely done, except you run the risk of them asking you for Top 100 wines. yuck!

Prost!
-Bill
no avatar
User

Remo Perriello

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:53 pm

Bronxville,NY

by Remo Perriello » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:05 am

LOL Bill, I almost hit my year mark with my startup Wine Shop and have yet to have someone ask for a rated wine.

My store is quite small, in its first stages, planning on expanding if things work out well. Which leads to a more hand sell and personal touch. This may be one reason I havent be asked about ratings... It's funny though, I sometimes catch myself telling my customers about the ratings, but most don't really care...

However, I am trying to cope with the size questions... "Do you have anything smaller?", "Do you have anything bigger?", "How about pint sizes?" "How about that bottle, in a magmum?" , "Do you have any Gallo 4 L?"

... ARGH!!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:20 am

Thanks for this emotional moment Bruce. I gave up three months ago, donated some copies to the drop-in centre (!!??) and now read it in 5 minutes at the local winestore. Have not been to the website in months!
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

All wine mags and I are kaput...

by Ian Sutton » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:04 am

Are there ANY good wine mags out there? It seems most are appealing to those new to the hobby, or who like the image, but don't have time to form their own judgements, or who just like pretty pictures of beaming winemakers in sunny vineyards alongside equally superficial fawning prose.

Decanter has declined badly, Wine Magazine has been through turmoil and whilst showing some interesting signs recently, still has some dreadful stuff in there. I picked up WS off the shelf in a UK bookstore a couple of months ago, browsed for a minute, put it back. It confirmed my suspicions about the magazine. Winestate in Oz has a couple of good writers on Wine History (Velmai Henkell?) and technical (Richard Gawel), alongside less interesting columns and a fatally flawed panel review system. Gambero Rosso do a big magazine on cheaper wines, but I only really bought it to develop my Italian reading skills!

Maybe there's a good one out there, but I'm a little doubtful.

Books however, plenty of good ones out there.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: All wine mags and I are kaput...

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:27 am

Ian Sutton wrote:Are there ANY good wine mags out there?

I gave up on WS years ago, but then Zachys gave a free subscription to some customers for a year. I glanced through it each time, but other than maybe Matt Kramer and occasionally the food column, I can't say there was much that caught my eye. But that's just me- maybe if you were a total newbie to a featured region it might inform, or if you were interested in visiting. In any case, when freebie ran out I didn't take advantage of many discounted offers.

I also got a freebie of Wine Enthusiast for a while. Fun for free, I wouldn't subscribe.I occasionally pick up Decanter if I need reading for a train ride after an offline. Nothing has drawn me to subscribe. In both cases I average one interesting article per issue.

So now I don't actually subscribe to any wine magazine. I do get two subscription newsletters (Claude Kolm's Fine Wine Review and John Gilman's View from the Cellar) that I think provide great value.
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

by Mike B. » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:52 am

My wife bought me subscriptions to both Wine Enthusiast and Wine Access for my birthday earlier this year.

Enthusiast is OK, certainly better than WS. But it's suffers somewhat from the same affliction as Spectator - too little wine, too much high society B.S. At least Enthusiast doesn't have the insufferable James Suckling.

I reached my breaking point with Spectator when one of their columnists wrote about a speech Matt Kramer gave on biodynamism. It was a little too much navel gazing for me.

Wine Access is a Canadian publication and I love it. The focus is mostly on, get this, wine! What a novel concept! Better yet, it highlights Canadian wineries and wines, which are sadly absent from WS and WE.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:32 pm

Remo Perriello wrote:LOL Bill, I almost hit my year mark with my startup Wine Shop and have yet to have someone ask for a rated wine.

My store is quite small, in its first stages, planning on expanding if things work out well. Which leads to a more hand sell and personal touch.

Sounds like a great shop, we need more retailers like you -Best of luck to you!

Bill
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:03 pm

No use? I owe my life to the WS

I once passed out in a friend's cellar after too much Port and covered myself with back issues of WS for warmth (true story). Without those glossy oversized pages I might not be here now...
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Are there ANY good wine mags out there?

Though not strictly wine, the Art of Eating has great articles (thanks, Thor).

I used to like The Underground Wine Journal, but I haven't read it in years.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:17 pm

JoePerry wrote:No use? I owe my life to the WS

I once passed out in a friend's cellar after too much Port and covered myself with back issues of WS for warmth (true story). Without those glossy oversized pages I might not be here now...

That wasn't too much port - more like, just enough!
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Carlo

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:22 pm

wine country,sonoma county CA

by Carlo » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:18 pm

The only use I have for WS is to sell our wine by its rating.
Anything negitive only hurts the wine bizz in a whole(U S wineries).Were a small comunity that competes with beer so that`s the giant we face.
I know I`m not presenting this right .
Bad ratings maybe hurt all of the wineries and their artisans.

Do they rate Bud and Coors..?

By the way Parker rated our Syrah 93 points :D
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:18 pm

Doug Surplus wrote:

Too much port is when you see the little white light and you never come back.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:27 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Too much port is when you see the little white light and you never come back.

Port? I thought that was the dentists?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:31 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:Too much port is when you see the little white light and you never come back.

Port? I thought that was the dentists?

Now that I think about it my dentist's breath smells as if he has been drinking port. Does he know Joe?
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:40 pm

That's good enough to have many people UNSUBSCIBE! I'm thinking about it now.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:44 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:

Spelling, I got so angry at The Speculator Spelling= U N S U B S C R I B E
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:57 pm

I confess it's been a long time since I read an issue of the Wine Spectator.

Last time I looked, the magazine might better have been titled "Winestyles of the Rich and Famous". Frankly, I could give a damn what rich and famous people are doing or eating or shmoozing in California's wine country.

I wouldn't even stock this rag in my bathroom (the paper is non-absorbant).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:21 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
Doug Surplus wrote:

Too much port is when you see the little white light and you never come back.

I've been there. A bottle of 63 Martinez Port, Deco "Port", 82 Noval LBV, Argueso PX, and some single malt after a night of normal wines.

Ask Tim Tanigawa about "Godzilla"; I think he's still cleaning up.

I'm like Rasputin now... totally immune.
Last edited by JoePerry on Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:28 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:

How very inhospitable of you. :shock:

What will I cover myself with when I pass out in your cellar after Cassoulet?
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:59 am

Is it the magazine the problem or just that wine geeks evolve beyond the point where there is value in it for them? In other words, how is the subscription rate doing: growing or declining? There are a lot of lamebrains out there, don’t forget. Have some noblesse oblige.

There is value in everything, if you look. I guess the mag is too glossy to substitute for toilet paper, but I have recently been finding James Laube’s comments hilarious and even waiting for issues just to see what besotted things he will say next so that I can post goofs on them. I also think it provides ballast for the Whole Foods Store cult phenomenon in the American zeitgeist. And I have learned that the trees killed for the rag’s distribution were especially grown for such purposes and do not deplete the overall forestation, so you don’t have to be concerned about that. Landfill areas, potential developmental damage to newbies and our declining world reputation are concerns, however.