The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sangiovese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN: Sangiovese

by wrcstl » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:56 am

Tasted 9 sangiovese wines blind at our bi-montly wine tasting group. Didn't take notes so not much detail. Had two domestic wines, '02 Luna and '01 Pazzo both which were identified by all as the domestic wines due to the big upfront fruit profile. These two wines went well with a wild goose pate our host prepared. Even though I am a major CC fan I thought this would be a tough theme and many of the wines would not wow the members. I was wrong and all wines were excellent. It helps that they were served with Ialian cheese, grilled wild salmon and the pate with the last flight. Thrree wines stood out, IMHO.

'95 Felsina Chianti Classico - The wine was much fuller bodied than I remember the last time I tasted it, had shed most of its acidity, complex flavors of darker fruit and my WOTN

'99 Argiano Brunello di Montalcino - OK, probablly too young but a very big wine that was drinking well now but probably has a good 10+ years to improve. This wine fooled me as I was thinking domestic due to the big fruit and relatively low acid. You had to like this wine, lots going on, but did not seem like a typical Brunello.

'93 Selvapiana Res Chianti Rufina - Knew this wine was in the mix but expected a light bodied and somewhat bricking color that hopefully had not lost its character. Again I missed the boat entirely. The wine had plenty of weight, in no fear of fading and beautiful Chianti fruit. The wine was totally evolved with nothing out of balance and a silky smooth drink.

Other wines included a '90 Barbi Brunello that was heading over the hill, a '00 Isole e Olena "Cepparello" that was quite nice and a few more that were good but just not noteworthy.

Walt
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Sangiovese

by Brian K Miller » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:04 pm

Sounds like a good tasting, Walt. I've just joined the forum, and I love Italian reds.

Have you ever tried Podere il Palazzino Grosse Senessi (spelling?) Chianti Classico? That wine wowed me, even though it may not be "typical."
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:52 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Sounds like a good tasting, Walt. I've just joined the forum, and I love Italian reds.

Have you ever tried Podere il Palazzino Grosse Senessi (spelling?) Chianti Classico? That wine wowed me, even though it may not be "typical."

Hi Brian,
Boy, you were really digging into the achives. I have never heard of the wine you mention but that doesn't mean that much as there are a lot of good CC that I have not tasted. I am sort of a "classical" CC lover and look for the wines with bright berry fruit and some acidity and love them with food. As much as I love CC I seldom have them without a pasta or complimentary dish. I also am impressed how many of them age so gracefully. The '95 Felsina CC was just beautiful. Next to Cabernet, Sangiovese is my favorite grape. Welcome to the forum as I see this is only your second post.
Walt
no avatar
User

Remo Perriello

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:53 pm

Bronxville,NY

by Remo Perriello » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:30 am

Welcome to the forums Brian!

Walt, that tasting sounded like loads of fun. My mouth was wondering thinking about that wild goose pate. Even though, I never had it... But, sounded like it tasts like venison. Duck is my favorite!

In regards to the Sangiovese grape, I tend to like it blended with Cabernet or Montelpulciano. One that comes to mind is the Sangiovese di Romagna Superiore Reserva DOC 2000 - Villa Pampini. http://www.jgwines.com/Factsheets/bernardiSangioveseRis00.html. The two blended grapes soften the Sangiovese a bit for me. Otherwise, I get too much of that rubbery, taste on my palate.

I'm still building my taste preferences so, it may be I haven't found it yet. Hey, I'm still a Cellar Rat...
no avatar
User

jeremy johnson

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:28 pm

Louisville, KY

by jeremy johnson » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:40 am

A wonderful supertuscan featuring Sangiovese is the Tenuta San Guido's "Guidalberto." The grapes are grown in a vineyard on lands adjacent to the Sassicaia vineyards, and it's a similar wine, though made so that not only will it age well, but it will drink very well young. The grapes are Merlot (45%) Cab Sauv (45%) and Sangiovese (10%) although, I think in some past vintages they've upped the Sangiovese from time to time 40/40/20...

also-on the topic of supertuscans-

Has anyone here ever tried Nozzole's Il Pareto? Jeeeeez...what a wonderful wine...100% Cab Sauv, and absolutely beautiful. The 1999's are especially nice right now, though I'm sure they will age gracefully for years to come. I remember thinking how wonderful it was and be so shocked at the perfect balance-- when drinking pure cabs, I often find myself wishing they had used a bit of blending grapes to soften it up or add balance. I have never had a 100% cab with this elegant a balance in structure. Round deep fruit, italian style minerality, but just enough ripe fruit, tar and tannin to end your sip in beautiful silkiness.
no avatar
User

Remo Perriello

Rank

Wine geek

Bronxville,NY

by Remo Perriello » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:31 pm

Jeremy,

I just checked my (wholesaler browser) and found one of the previous vintages.

Sassicaia Guidalberto 2003 750

It was $760.00/case/ for six...!

I couldn't find a more recent vintage. Always looking to try recommendations to bring into the store. I may have to pass on the 2003... LOL...
no avatar
User

jeremy johnson

Rank

Wine geek

Louisville, KY

by jeremy johnson » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:25 pm

yeah....both the Guidalberto and the Il Pareto are rather pricey...here you go-

another supertuscan recommendation I can heartily make (and one that is MUCH more affordable) is the Ricasoli Campo Ceni...should be 20-25 a bottle, is 100% Sangiovese and is absolutely wonderful...firm, strong, but with an hour or two to mellow, a fabulous wine with a great finish, good ripe fruit and soft characteristics
no avatar
User

Remo Perriello

Rank

Wine geek

Bronxville,NY

by Remo Perriello » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:58 pm

Is that the Barone Ricasoli Chianti Classico?

I can get the 2002 for around $16, so sounds about right for retail...

Too bad I cannot ship to KY. I would have reserved you a couple cases... LOL...

Thanks for the suggestion...
no avatar
User

jeremy johnson

Rank

Wine geek

Louisville, KY

by jeremy johnson » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:57 pm

actually it is not the Chianti Classico (although their CC is excellent)...
the Campo Ceni:

is a supertuscan and therefore an IGT not a DOCG....it is superb though...and where are you located? I travel a LOT and picking wine up could be a possibility depending on price and your location..try the Campo Ceni...you'll be glad you did.
no avatar
User

Remo Perriello

Rank

Wine geek

Bronxville,NY

by Remo Perriello » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:55 am

Beautiful bottle... I did a copy and paste from my wholesale web account. I think they have a misprint. Which happens pretty often. I am located in Westchester County, New York. Right off the cross county parkway, exit 10 Eastchester Exit.

If you are ever in the neighborhood, give me a call or send me an email. I told another forum member, Bob Ross, who lives in Franklin Lakes, NJ as well. There are numerous wine trade events in the Fall, I hate going by myself... :(
no avatar
User

jeremy johnson

Rank

Wine geek

Louisville, KY

by jeremy johnson » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:35 am

I will definitely, as I will be in your area this october! Look for an email soon...
no avatar
User

Remo Perriello

Rank

Wine geek

Bronxville,NY

by Remo Perriello » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:41 pm

Hey, Jeremy, I just got the Campo today!

I feel like a little kid in a candy store... I'm gonna taste it tonight with the wife. Things have been a bit crazy at the house, we just had another child. So, that makes two, my daughter will be 4 soon and now we have a boy. He is about a month now and a lot easier to handle than my daughter!

So far... LOL..

I will let you know how it tastes. It is the 2002, not sure what vintage you had described...
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:53 pm

wrcstl wrote:'99 Argiano Brunello di Montalcino - OK, probablly too young but a very big wine that was drinking well now but probably has a good 10+ years to improve. This wine fooled me as I was thinking domestic due to the big fruit and relatively low acid. You had to like this wine, lots going on, but did not seem like a typical Brunello.

The Argiano is the only Brunello typically available here. Sounds like the '99 is like the '98 I most recently tried. Ok, but a bit too anonymous and international. We just got the '00. I think I'll pass.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.