The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Burg. data points

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Burg. data points

by Florida Jim » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:54 am

A little checking on some bottles I’m cellaring; perhaps, influenced by Len Evans’ Capacity Theory:

1999 Mugnier, Chambolle-Musigny Les Amoureuses:
Young but for purity, intensity and elegance, it can’t be beat; the essence of Chambolle on both the nose and palate, very long, perfect balance and the sort of harmony where all the elements seem equal and proportionate such that the whole becomes greater than the sum of its parts. Fabulous!
Price unknown. Thanks Kevin.

2002 Voarick, Corton-Renardes:
Another amazing wine but with a harder edge, an herbaceous accent and darker fruit; still purity and intensity equal to the Amoureuses. Price $40; I’d pay that again.

1999 Robert Chevillon, Nuits-Saint-Georges Les Cailles:
Again, great purity and intensity but this has a dark fruit, meaty character and an earthy tone that make it seem less about elegance and more about power and structure; very deeply flavored and more open than I expected at this point; taut but accessible; infinite length. About $47 on release; I’d pay that again.

1999 Ghislaine Barthod, Chambolle-Musigny Les Veroilles:
The proximity of this vineyard to Bonnes Mares is immediately evident but so too, is the fine hand of this producer; darker than the Amoureuses on both the nose and palate but still very Chambolle, a symmetry in the mouth that is complex and integrated all at the same time, great depth and balance with fine tannins and a long, ripe aftertaste. Like biting into a juicy fruit. About $65 on release; I’d pay that again.

None of these were completely ready but all were more open than I expected (which I put down to the character of the vintages). Another 5 years and I’ll do this again.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Burg. data points

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:05 am

Lovely notes Jim.

I had the '99 Chevillon Vaucrains not long ago, and it too was surprisingly open, especially after two hours.

But I am keeping my hands off the remainder of my 1999s. I did have the '02 Mugneret-Gibourg Bourgogne the other week, and that was delicious as well.
Decisions are made by those who show up