The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:17 am

Phoenix AZ

WTN: 2007 Delas Saint Esprit Cotes-du-Rhone

by Doug Surplus » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:18 am

Faint nose of spices and autumn flowers carries over into the mouth, with tart red fruit added. Too watery/thin for my tastes, but works ok with food due to a good dose of acidty. Short finish. There's just not very much here. I won't being buying more, even for the $9 price at Trader Joe's. I like my CdRs with more meat on the bone, so to speak, so I can enjoy them with or without food.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 9:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

Re: WTN: 2007 Delas Saint Esprit Cotes-du-Rhone

by Drew Hall » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:57 am

I had an opposite experience with the Delas and while not a deeply flavored wine I found neither tartness nor a thin wine. My note below from another board. Bottle variation?

The Côtes-du-Rhône Saint Esprit is made from a blend of Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre and Carignan. Dark fruits and spice with notes of red berry, black pepper and chambord. Nicely done and a good food wine. A different style and not as deeply flavored as the Paul Autard. Good value for $9.99. 13.5% Alc/vol.

Drew
no avatar
User

Bonnie in Holland

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:35 pm

The Netherlands

by Bonnie in Holland » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:44 pm

I've never had the Delas Freres Esprit CdR red, but do enjoy their white. Maybe that would suit better? cheers, Bonnie
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:47 pm

Drew - bottle variation may be a possibility, but this seemed very thin for a CdR.

Bonnie - I'll have to see if Trader Joe's stocks the white. Their selection for French wines is very sparse.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?