Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Growing plants from your kitchen

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Growing plants from your kitchen

by Larry Greenly » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:25 pm

What plants have you grown from your kitchen seeds, roots, tubers, etc.?

I've grown most kinds of grains (e.g., wheat, spelt, Kamut, amaranth, quinoa, etc.), and buckwheat--just to see what they look like. I've grown a number of chiles from the dried ones from stores. I tried to grow ginger, but it failed after a promising start. Likewise, with a lemon seed. Currently, I have some lemongrass growing.

Let's hear from you....
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Growing plants from your kitchen

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:46 am

Larry Greenly wrote:What plants have you grown from your kitchen seeds, roots, tubers, etc.?

Intentionally, none, but to my recollection, we've had tomatoes, potatoes, pumpkins and squash come up in the compost, and we've got a yard full of sunflowers that came up from dropped bird seed. Peanuts thrown out to squirrels also sprout, but I don't think we've ever had a harvest. :)
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:26 am

- Nespalone fruit from the nuts brought back from Italy (but I failed to keep it alive)
    - Puglian chilli type peppers (Black) - again brought back from Italy
    - Avocado currently growing in the greenhouse
    - Lemon
    - Possibly olive in there as well
    - Tomato
    - Apricots & cherries lined up for next year

Like Larry, I think mostly it's inquisitiveness, but also a joy at how nature gets on with re-birth despite my ham-fisted efforts!

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:57 pm

About 20 years ago, I had an avocado seed that sprouted in my place and grew into a 7-foot-tall houseplant. I loved the broad, dark-green leaves and the overall look of the plant. One unfortunate day, it got knocked over and snapped near the base. I have tried to germinate an avocado seed ever since those days, and it's like I have some curse going or something - not a single seed has sprouted! Then again, they probably need constant heat in addition to moisture in order to sprout.

I've also started lots of tomatoes indoors, then transferred them to my garden or into pots. And I've started fig plants inside too - love the rough leaves - they kind of feel like a cat's tongue.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:06 pm

Paul B. wrote:About 20 years ago, I had an avocado seed that sprouted in my place and grew into a 7-foot-tall houseplant. I loved the broad, dark-green leaves and the overall look of the plant. One unfortunate day, it got knocked over and snapped near the base. I have tried to germinate an avocado seed ever since those days, and it's like I have some curse going or something - not a single seed has sprouted! Then again, they probably need constant heat in addition to moisture in order to sprout.

I've also started lots of tomatoes indoors, then transferred them to my garden or into pots. And I've started fig plants inside too - love the rough leaves - they kind of feel like a cat's tongue.

Paul
I think the trick with the Avocado was patience. It took ages to germinate, but it was left there, watered when needed and I was pleasantly surprised when it emerged.

Thanks for giving me the thought of having it as a houseplant - might just do that assuming I don't accidentally kill it in the meantime :oops:

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:14 pm

About 28 years ago, when my oldest son was being born, my mother was in the waiting room, knitting, and noticed a big, beautiful potted plant growing in the corner. So, when nobody was looking, she quickly broke off a piece of the plant with the intentions of taking it home a rooting it from a cutting. When she got home and looked at it closely, she discovered it was plastic. :lol:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:04 pm

Howie Hart wrote:About 28 years ago, when my oldest son was being born, my mother was in the waiting room, knitting, and noticed a big, beautiful potted plant growing in the corner. So, when nobody was looking, she quickly broke off a piece of the plant with the intentions of taking it home a rooting it from a cutting. When she got home and looked at it closely, she discovered it was plastic. :lol:

We once had a fellow employee who would eat just about anything (kinda like Jethro on Beverly Hillbillies). One day we got a bunch of packing material (like packing peanuts, but shaped like spaghetti) and covered it with spaghetti sauce from the cafeteria. Crunch, crunch. After he ate some of it, we told him what it was.