The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 La Fleur Peyrabon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 2001 La Fleur Peyrabon

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:37 pm

I took the train in to meet Betsy at Landmarc tonight. Landmarc has probably the best priced winelist in NYC, but I only ordered one half-bottle because after dinner we were delivering some supplies to some friends on the street, and I needed to drive. Betsy was getting soup and hanger steak while I ordered marrow bones and boudin noir, I opted for a Bordeaux to match her steal. I got a wine I'd never heard of, the 2001 Ch. La Fleur Peyrabon (Pauillac). Accessible dark berry fruit, soft ripe tannins, some acidity. Nice mouthfeel. A bit of graphite with the finish quite minerally. Not an extraordinary Bordeaux by any means, it could use a bit more body, but a decent deal at a restaurant price of I think $23 for the 375. I wondered if this was the second wine of Peyrabon, then realized Peyrabon is Haut-Medoc, not Pauillac. I probably liked this as much as the 2001 Lynch-Bages. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN: 2001 La Fleur Peyrabon

by James Roscoe » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:45 pm

Dale, this sounds like it's a nice little Pulliac. I wonder if it's available in stores? From your description and the NYC restaurant price, it might turn out to be a qpr. What do you think? Noble work on the back end by the way. Cheers! James
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 2001 La Fleur Peyrabon

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:08 am

Winesearcher shows the 2001 at K & D in Manhattan and at Varmax in Portchester (near me). It's $17 at Varmax before discount, might grab a couple.

So a little research indicates the Peyrabon (Haut-Medoc) vineyard overlaps into Pauillac, apparently that part is bottled separately as La Fleur Peyrabon. Both owned by Millésima.

http://www.thewinedoctor.com/tastingspr ... abon.shtml