The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Northstar Merlot Columbia Valley Washington.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Northstar Merlot Columbia Valley Washington.

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:22 pm

WTN: Northstar Merlot Columbia Valley Washington. $15 a glass, $45 a bottle at Endless Vines, Franklin Lakes. 14.5% alcohol. Blend 75% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon. Aged for 17 months in primarily French and some American oak, using 83% new barrels and 17% one-year-old barrels.

Deep red color, deep hue, subdued aroma of fruit and spices with hints of chocolate and tobacco, good fruit and spice taste with very soft tannins; a bit oaky for my taste; medium mouth feel; long single note finish. A pleasant sipping wine, but one I can't see working very well with food -- perhaps a very delicate seafood dish? A poor QPR for a pleasant but not exciting wine. 3*.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

Re: Northstar Merlot Columbia Valley Washington.

by Bruce K » Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:02 am

Bob, I went to their tasting room two years ago, knowing nothing about this winery, but I was at Pepper Bridge next door (my intended destination) and saw the sign and thought I'd give it a try. So I walk in and then discover 1) they're owned by Chateau Ste. Michelle; 2) their sole reason for existence is to "make the best merlot in the world"; and 3) they're proud of how many points they've gotten. Anyway, we were there, so I tasted and I think your description just about sums up my thoughts on all their wines: "A poor QPR for a pleasant but not exciting wine."