The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

"Wouldn't It Be Nice To...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:24 pm

Syracuse, NY

"Wouldn't It Be Nice To...

by Dan Smothergill » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:27 pm

be able to search on-line in one place for a wine that a WLDGer found interesting and come up with a half dozen or so retailers that could ship it to you? If there is such a site it's news to me. The ones I've been directed to tend not to have what I'm looking for. The '05 Malbec Dona Paula- Los Cardis that Aaron W. described is the latest example of many.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: "Wouldn't It Be Nice To...

by Bob Ross » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:12 pm

Two ideas, Dan.

I found 15 vendors that offer Dona Paula, including a few that offer the Malbec, and I know KL for sure ships just about anywhere. Often a retailer will list only one of the wines in a line -- one that offers the Chardonnay may well offer the Malbec as well, even though they don't list it on Wine Searcher Pro.

Also, as a general rule, it's really nice when posters list the retailer and hte distributor for wines. Then, if you can't find a source online, you can follow up with either.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:02 pm

Or you could go here and have it shipped: http://www.thewineclub.com/index?id=SRGoqAQf&mv_pc=154
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:26 pm

Dan Smothergill wrote:'05 Malbec Dona Paula- Los Cardis that Aaron W. described is the latest example of many.

Dona Paula is imported by Vineyard Brands. It should be relatively easy to track down.

-Bill
no avatar
User

Remo Perriello

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:53 pm

Bronxville,NY

by Remo Perriello » Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:06 am

Better yet, Dan, become friends with a Wine Shop owner in Westchester County, NY, (AHEM) me, and I will do my best to find those wines for you... :wink: I have something better than WineSearcher, which I use as a guide for my prices. Its called Bevmedia

And not sounding like a salesman, signup for my newsletter on my Site and keep informed on specials, events, etc... Better yet, I have a ton of invitations to Trade Events in September, if your ever in my neck of the woods, tag along...
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:47 am

Thanks guys. Perhaps I'm asking too much. Wine Searcher Pro that Bob mentions is the kind of thing I have in mind but it comes with price tag ($29 a year). As for The Wine Club that Tim Mc suggested, it doesn't list the Malbec I cited as an example (I did fix the spelling too). Remo, I have established relationships with several local retailers. They will order just about anything, but on a case basis only. That rules out a mixed case of several wines I might like to try based on the recommendations of WLDGers. I have ordered such mixed cases from several outfits and had them shipped with very satisfactory results. The problem is that you have to shop around to find who has what at what price, how much shipping is, etc. It would be nice not to have to go through all that.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:56 am

Dan, Wine Searcher has a pretty good free version at http://www.wine-searcher.com/

I see that there are seven retailers in New Jersey carrying the Dona Paula line. I only suggested the Pro version because it offers more retailers, and a larger variety of pricing. But the free version may very well do the trick.

Using the free version, for example, and searching on Dona Paula, you get Beacon in New York City and the following note:

Only 1 of the 4 entries Wine-Searcher has located is showing. Use the Pro Version to view all results.

It would be really nice if there were a single source to do what you want to do -- but a willing retailer with lots of contacts and Wine Searcher are the only two ways to accomplish a part of what you want, as far as I know.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:50 am

Wine Searcher has a pretty good free version at http://www.wine-searcher.com/

That is a handy tool Bob. Thanks again.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:42 am

Dan Smothergill wrote:
Wine Searcher has a pretty good free version at http://www.wine-searcher.com/

That is a handy tool Bob. Thanks again.

Don't tell anyone else about this :wink: , but if you use the free version, rather than asking for "all matching wines", choose the "exact matches" option, which brings back much more (but not always all) matches.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:44 pm

Don't tell anyone else about this

I won't tell, in the sense that Bill Clinton did not have sex with that woman.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:12 am

It depends how often you're looking for wine nationally, but for me paying the $25 for Winesearcher Pro is a no brainer. I saved $85 on a 1986 Margaux (from a source I knew and trusted, but doubt I would have checked all 30 stores I have shopped from) alone (for a group, we were splitting).

Of course, low price isn't most important thing, and with older bottles I won't bite except at retailers I've used or that get thumbs up from friends.
no avatar
User

Dan Smothergill

Rank

Wine guru

Syracuse, NY

by Dan Smothergill » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:17 pm

for me paying the $25 for Winesearcher Pro is a no brainer

Yeah Dale, I've been coming around to the same conclusion. My basic knee-jerk response to the thought of having to pay for something I think should be free isn't always so smart. But I grew up in 60's. Everything was supposed to be free![/i]