The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

So, how do you store your screwcap wines in the cellar?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

So, how do you store your screwcap wines in the cellar?

by Bruce Hayes » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:23 pm

Out of habit, and nothing else, I find that I lay down screwcap-sealed bottles, right next to their corked (no pun intended) cousins.

So, do you stand yours up or lay yours down? Seems to me that, purely from a safety point of view, it makes more sense to have them all horizontal. I can just see me knocking over some floor standing bottles on my way to fetch something else.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: So, how do you store your screwcap wines in the cellar?

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:44 pm

In cases they are upright. On shelves/in racking obviously on their sides. I don't worry about it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:55 pm

Mostly on their sides, simply because that's the way I'm set up to store. Once I realized I was doing that, I also realized that I have some room in the door to stand them up, and I've started doing that.
no avatar
User

Carlo

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:22 pm

wine country,sonoma county CA

by Carlo » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:56 pm

stand it up......
what`s the point of laying it down :)
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

by Andrew Shults » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:04 pm

I lay mine down out of necessity rather than habit. My wine "cellar" is actually a 24-bottle wine fridge in which I've managed to find space for 30 bottles and 4 half-bottles. I don't have room to stand some bottles up and lay others down.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:05 pm

Most of us have our storage arranged for flat storage, so until we re-arrange, laid flat will remain a pragmatic option.

There is however one reason for laying flat - if you've got a damaged seal it leaks - but if stood upright it just oxidises without obvious sign of problem. The benefit of laying down is you see the problem sooner (and may be more likely to be able to arrange a refund). The downside is wine puddles in the cellar :wink:

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:19 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:There is however one reason for laying flat - if you've got a damaged seal it leaks - but if stood upright it just oxidises without obvious sign of problem. The benefit of laying down is you see the problem sooner (and may be more likely to be able to arrange a refund). The downside is wine puddles in the cellar :wink:

One should add that this scenario is extremely rare, in any case much, much rarer than a cork tainted bottle.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:23 pm

The only downside of screwcapped wine -- I can store it upright -- lots of boxes -- leaving horizonal racks for wines under cork.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:56 pm

Some of each, depending on open spaces in my somewhat limited cellar. But what is the BEST way to store them? Or does it matter?
-OW
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:03 pm

The answer I've seen over and over again, OW, is that it doesn't matter insofar as the wine is concerned. Up, down, on their sides.

Other considerations come into play -- for example, some people like storing them up so they can show the labels in a glass fronted refrigerator.

Or, on their sides, because that's the way most racking is now set up.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:08 pm

Thanks, Bob, I hoped that was the case.
-OW
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:24 pm

Bob Ross wrote:The answer I've seen over and over again, OW, is that it doesn't matter insofar as the wine is concerned. Up, down, on their sides.

Other considerations come into play -- for example, some people like storing them up so they can show the labels in a glass fronted refrigerator.

Or, on their sides, because that's the way most racking is now set up.
I think the answer depends on where you want your sediment (if any) to accumulate. I prefer it on the bottom, so I prefer to store the screwcap wines standing up, although a 45° angle would probably be even better.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:15 am

Andrew Shults wrote:I lay mine down out of necessity

Andrew, your …can’t think of the word for picture that you use (‘handle’, for lack of the correct word that I will think of the minute I push the send button) to represent yourself is a mandala. That means to me that you resonate with your unconscious psyche.

People who have that connection will consciously or unconsciously resonate laid-down bottles with the idea of ancestors and heritage – why wine cellars are sometimes called a sarcophagus. Laid down bottles are an archetype. When the modern technocratic world robs us of mythology (such as laid-down bottles of wine), we become a little barren, bereft of “religion” in its purest sense – from Latin, meaning a linking back to distant ancestry.
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

by Andrew Shults » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:05 am

Covert wrote:Andrew, your …can’t think of the word for picture that you use (‘handle’, for lack of the correct word that I will think of the minute I push the send button) to represent yourself is a mandala. That means to me that you resonate with your unconscious psyche.

Covert,

Actually, the avatar has a different cultural origin from mandalas. Though I currently live in Chicago, I'm Pennsylvania Dutch, which is actually German (Dutch/Deutsch). Hex signs, or more accurately barn signs since they hang on the outside of a barn, are a cultural tradition from the earliest German settler/farmers of Pennsylvania. I found this one that replaces traditional motifs with wine bottles, glasses, and grapes.

So, it does represent ancestry to me, just not exactly in the way you thought.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:39 am

Right-side-up, invariably.

I don't know what the lining of the cap is made from, or whether it's truly inert ... so I just stack 'em right side up and that's it.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:47 am

In the refrigerator for immediate drinking.
Walt
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:39 am

Andrew Shults wrote: Actually, the avatar has a different cultural origin from mandalas.

If someone were to sit down and say, "Now I am going to draw a mandala," it would not look like your avatar (thanks for the mot juste). From a psychic perspective, though, any circular design containing geometric forms is a mandala, even a sectioned apple pie qualifies.

I am nearly alone in my thesis about such things. But that's okay. :)
My wife gets it; that's all that counts.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:58 am

I'm kinda surprised that nobody mentioned doing something different with the various synthetic corks. Think of the possibilities; wine bottles in twelve different positions!
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:58 pm

Sort of related to this thread, newbie question: I store my stelvins in the fridge because I have so little room in my wine cabinet. I assume that the very slight tremors that modern fridges cause are of no concern for mid-term max. Is this true?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:00 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Sort of related to this thread, newbie question: I store my stelvins in the fridge because I have so little room in my wine cabinet. I assume that the very slight tremors that modern fridges cause are of no concern for mid-term max. Is this true?

I have never understood why slight vibration is supposed to be bad for while although I have read this many, many times over the years.

The only problem I could see would be if you had red wine you were keeping for a very long time, then slight, regular vibrations or tremors would, I suspect, keep the sediment agitated in the bottle.