The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Couple Tuscan winners (and TN #453 on 04 Pepiere)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Couple Tuscan winners (and TN #453 on 04 Pepiere)

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:01 pm

With dinner Friday night of pasta with Bolognese sauce, the 2001 Felsina Chianti Classico from 375. Black cherry fruit with a hint of dried cherries, light floral aromas backed by a mild earthiness. Filled out with air. Nice medium-bodied Sangiovese with lively acidity, clean finish. Very good value (I paid $8.xx for the half-bottle). B+

Betsy had asked for a cup of dry white for the recipe, I had opened yet another bottle of the 2004 Domaine de la Pepiere Muscadet. Still one of the great $9 wines available, I'm running out (but no panic, as I like the 2005 too). Crisp, mineral, hints of the seashore. Does anyone need another note on this? B+ (solid A for value)

Saturday the remnants of Ernesto were coming through, it was very cool (for Labor Day weekend), rainy, and windy. Betsy decided on an autumny dish of lamb shanks. This was a clipped recipe (NYT I think ) for "Vermont Lamb Shanks", recipe included cider and Armagnac. Keeping with my Tuscan weekend theme I opened the 2001 Montevertine. As much as I liked the Felsina, this just absolutely rocked. Rich velvety texture yet with a firm acidity, deep rich cherry fruit with hints of fig, cigarbox, and earth. Spicy and smooth, very appealing. After dinner we watched a DVD, finishing just as we were plunged into darkness. I had another glass by candlelight, about 3 hours of air had made it even better. Lovely. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Couple Tuscan winners (and TN #453 on 04 Pepiere)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:10 pm

The `04 Pepiere...."does anyone need another note on this?".

Sure what the heck Dale! I am looking at a second bottle pretty soon..LOL Nah, thats OK. I figured this wine out with Bill`s help!!
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:02 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Keeping with my Tuscan weekend theme I opened the 2001 Montevertine. As much as I liked the Felsina, this just absolutely rocked. Rich velvety texture yet with a firm acidity, deep rich cherry fruit with hints of fig, cigarbox, and earth. Spicy and smooth, very appealing. After dinner we watched a DVD, finishing just as we were plunged into darkness. I had another glass by candlelight, about 3 hours of air had made it even better. Lovely. A-

Dale--
Am I correct that Montevertine has a few different bottlings? I assume if this were the Pergole Torte, you'd have noted that. I have a '99 Montevertine cellared that I purchased over there for about 18 euro, and I believe it's an all-Sangiovese Toscana IGT, but I've never seen a similar bottle in the States. Do you have a sense of how these age? Your experience after 3 hours of air sounds promising.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:22 pm

Bob,

I just meant did anyone need another one from me, this is about number 14. I'm always interested in others' takes on wines I like.

Clinton,

This was the "regular" Montevertine.
As far as I know Montevertine makes 5 bottlings, in more or less ascending price (I'[m not actually sure if Riserva or Sodaccio is more expensive):
Pian de Ciampolo
Montevertine
Montevertine Riserva
Il Sodaccio
Pergole Torte

I'm believe the label on this one (the regular Montevertine) said 90% Sangiovese/ 5% Canaiolo/ 5 %Colorino, but pretty sure another year the regular was 90 Sangiovese/10% Canaiolo. Pretty sure Pergole Torte is 100% Sangiovese every year.

Found this interesting article:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?H1F2254BD
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:38 pm

Dale I think wine is like music. Each time, one finds something new!!! Yo Yo said that everytime he plays the Elgar.