WTN: Some of the Delas Rhône range

The monthly Wine Focus discussions are now held in the main Wine Forum (above). The forum remains open as an archive, but please post comments and questions in the Wine Forum.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Some of the Delas Rhône range

Postby Tim York » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:39 pm

Let me cross-post to here the extract from my notes concerning the very sound Delas range which attracted no comment on the main Board.

Delas Frères, Tournon, Northern Rhône
A good standard and some decent QPR here from this respected producer/négotiant, if little really exciting. Delas is controlled by the Champagnes Roederer group which is a quality reference. The first two wines are Grenache dominated and the rest nearly or absolutely 100% Syrah.
Côtes du Ventoux 2006 (€6) showed tarry dark fruit and good degree of richness; 15.5/20 QPR.
Coteaux du Tricastin 2008 (€6,50) showed pretty fresh fruit aromas and a refreshing dark fruited body with dashes of pepper; 15.5/20 QPR.
Côtes du Rhône Saint-Esprit 2007 (€8) had a nice fragrantly cherry laced Syrah nose with quite good depth and structure; 16/20 QPR!
Crozes-Hermitage “Les Launes” 2006 (€14) showed steely cherry aromas and quite dark fruit and body; 15/20+.
Crozes-Hermitage “Domaine du Grand Chemin” 2006 (€18) showed a silkier mouth-feel, sweeter cherry aromas and good complexity; 16/20.
Crozes-Hermitage “Le Clos” 1999 (€29) disappointed with tired fruit and a pasty mid-palate; subliminal TCA? 13/20.
Crozes-Hermitage “le Clos” 2004 (€32) was refined in aroma and structured, long and elegant on the palate again with cherry notes; 16/20+.
Saint-Joseph “Les Challeys” 2006 was a shade rustic after the Crozes but showed good Nothern Rhône typicity with steely cherry, minerals and good body; 15/20+.
Saint-Joseph “François de Tournon” 2001 (€21) showed a return to refinement with slightly candied aromas and a well integrated and deep palate; 16/20.
Cornas “Chante Perdrix” 2005 (€37) was several notches up in power showing liquorice notes in its dark fruit aromas with the addition of tar and leather on the deep and structured palate; maybe some excitement here in a few years; potentially 17/20.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Re: WTN: Some of the Delas Rhône range

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:10 pm

Tim, there appears to be quite a fair Delas selection here in town. Would mean lots of driving around. Might be different vintages here however?
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Tim York » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:53 pm

Bob, I would expect reasonably consistent quality with vintage character difference from year to year. 2008 is, however a bit iffy, especially in the North.

Delas is a very sound house.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Postby Mark Lipton » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:10 pm

Tim,
Thanks for the notes on Delas. I've been wondering about them since their sale and what you report is encouraging. I find it intriguing, though, that they didn't include their Hermitage in the tasting, which certainly used to be their flagship wine (their holdings on the hill are extensive IIRC). Did they just omit it from the tasting, or has their portfolio changed since last I paid them any attention?

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:04 am

Côtes du Rhône Saint-Esprit 2007 (€8) had a nice fragrantly cherry laced Syrah nose with quite good depth and structure; 16/20 QPR!

Tim, a new arrival downtown. $18 at DeVines. Hope I enjoy as much as you. Might be good for the rodeo BBQ-ing next week!! Eeer, along with Coors Lite (shudder).

http://www.trifordakota.com/coors1.jpg
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Tim York » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:35 am

Mark,

Hermitage continues to be part of the Delas portfolio. The decision on what to show would have mainly been the importer's, I think, and I have no idea why they skipped it. One of my French guides, the one from RVF, speaks of delas needing to acquire more precision in their oak treatment but I wasn't conscious of that problem.

Bob,

I also picked up a bottle of Saint-Esprit; about €8 at a supermarket. I'll buy more if I like it as much as at the tasting. Are you still having BBQs this late in the year?
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:56 am

Sure Tim, in fact we BBQ all year round. Minus 30 is no problem but I have been known to move the thingy into the nearby dog house/cum shed!!!

BTW, found this a few minutes ago...>

http://www.wineberserkers.com/viewtopic ... as#p161637
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Postby Jenise » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:01 pm

Tim, thanks for the notes. Delas is a house I have zippo experience with nor much knowledge of. I did, however, pick up a bottle of their La Landonne, I think it is (I know it's one of Guigal's big three anyway) last year, a 2001 I believe, for just $40. Couldn't resist the vineyard, but wasn't sure if I was taking a big risk or not.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Tim York » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:45 pm

Jenise wrote:Tim, thanks for the notes. Delas is a house I have zippo experience with nor much knowledge of. I did, however, pick up a bottle of their La Landonne, I think it is (I know it's one of Guigal's big three anyway) last year, a 2001 I believe, for just $40. Couldn't resist the vineyard, but wasn't sure if I was taking a big risk or not.

Jenise, you should be just fine with that; maybe a couple more years to its peak. Indeed, for my palate, it would probably be better than Guigal's often spoofulated offerings.
Tim York
Tim York
Wine guru

Postby Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:20 am

Tim York wrote:Bob, I would expect reasonably consistent quality with vintage character difference from year to year. 2008 is, however a bit iffy, especially in the North.

Delas is a very sound house.

Well, as you have pointed out Tim, there are discussions on 3 forums right now relating to the `07 Delas CdR.
Its a tad late here but I opened the bottle an hour ago. I find a bitter streak on the finish and feel food would help. It is opening up but rather one-dimensional. I am knackered so will be able to concentrate better tomorrow (your today).
Confused?
Bob Parsons Alberta
aka Doris

Return to Wine Focus