The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Colio Estate Vineyards Pinot Grigio (Ontario VQA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2005 Colio Estate Vineyards Pinot Grigio (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:22 pm

Approximately $15 at the Colio Estate Vineyards retail outlet.

12.2% alc. Pale straw colour with a bit of pétillance shortly after being poured. Quiet nose of canteloupe and tropical-fruit nuances; a whiff of broth that might actually be sulfur. Bone dry and crisp on the entry with very nice minerality and a supple texture. There's quite a bit of alcoholic heat - much more than the indicated alcohol level would suggest; this drinks as if it were over 13% ABV. Good, clean, balanced and dry finish with lots of warmth. I think it will drink better once it's cooled down a bit in the fridge (I brought it straight up from the basement without chilling it first).

Of note is the appellation: It's "Ontario VQA" and not the expected "Lake Erie North Shore VQA", which is what a vinifera wine is entitled to - if it's of single-area origin. This is therefore probably a blend of Lake Erie and Niagara Peninsula fruit.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: 2005 Colio Estate Vineyards Pinot Grigio (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:54 pm

Update:

Just as I had suspected, the wine has really come together now and, once chilled and poured but allowed some time to warm up slightly, tastes really supple and integrated. Excellent mouthfeel; the alcoholic heat is all but gone and it's really nice. I'm getting lovely canteloupe and pineapple aromas on day two.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca