The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Penny's Hill "Red Dot" Shiraz

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 2000 Penny's Hill "Red Dot" Shiraz

by Redwinger » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:37 am

I don't drink much Australian Shiraz as I generally find the oak and ripeness/alcohol to be a bit much for my palate. I purchased this 2000 Penny's Hill untasted based solely upon a rather pleasant experience with the 1998 vintage. My first bottle around 3 years ago pretty much summed up my knock on Shiraz...jammy/ripe/alcoholic so I sort of forgot about the other 2 bottles sitting in the cellar. I pulled one out yesterday to accompany some "family farm" raised grilled pork chops and I was pleasantly surprised at how it had evolved.

2000 Penny's Hill "Red Dot" Shiraz
Decanted for ~ 1 hour.
Dark red color tending toward a lighter shade of purple. A quick whiff and I thought WHOA, what's going on here. Definite green and black olive aromas along with some subtle hints of bacon and violets. I could have easily mistaken this for a Northern Rhone based solely upon the nose. The palate is nicely balanced with the fruit, oak and tannins playing nicely together. My only quibble is that it did show a tiny bit of heat on the spiced/peper finish, but I really didn't notice this once the meal was served.
BTW, the farm raised pork is sooooo much better that that industrialized crap available in your local supermarket...it has flavor.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!