The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: (wrong) Jadot Beaune 1er

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: (wrong) Jadot Beaune 1er

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:16 am

By last night I was exhausted. We had lost power Saturday night, and it poured all night. By about 4:30 basement started flooding, I spent couple hours lugging pails of water till power came on at 6:30 (sump pump kicked on and drained in 10 minutes), and then many hours drying out basement. Cellar area had just got a smidgen of water, but felt it was better to open door and let it go up to about 70° F for a few hours to discourage mold. Combine with the full day's normal "chores", and I was tired. Betsy (aka the Duck Queen) felt I deserved a good dinner and made an excellent duck breast with red wine sauce and a potato gratin (thank goodness for mandolines).

I opened the 2002 Jadot "Boucherottes" Beaune 1er Cru. I realized might be awkward, but thought I had a bunch and might as well try. Later I realized it was the Clos de Couchereaux I have many of, I drank 50% of my Boucherottes. Closed and shy at first. It never did really open up aromatically. Some fruit did peek out, more on the palate than the nose. Raspberry and strawberry. Not a big wine, but noticable tannins and acidity that seems a little shrill even to me. I have to give this a B- for now (generously), but realize it might just be an awkward time (as it is for many 2002s).

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 am

Re: WTN: (wrong) Jadot Beaune 1er

by Alan Uchrinscko » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:38 pm

Sorry to hear about the flood and the wine. I hope (and am sure) the duck was great though!
Alan Uchrinscko