The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WOW...Fantastic Wine Gizmos...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WOW...Fantastic Wine Gizmos...

by TomHill » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:34 am

From the latest WineEnthusiast:
1. The Wine Prism by David Gates (not Ridge viticultural manager) of Rubicon. This is a glass straw for drinking wine w/ aerating holes that magnifies the wine's characteristics. They first considered stainless steel but decided against because it would impart flavors to the wine. The glass allows you to see the air and wine mixing together. OhOhOh...I'm buying, only $19.95. http://www.WinePrism.com
2. The Winesceptre. This is a surgical stainless steel wand (certified taste neutral!!) that you insert in the freezer for several hours. Then you insert it in your pre-chilled white wine and it maintains the wines temperature w/o the use of those messy ice buckets and lost labels (when's the last time you had a wine whose label came off in water??). Comes in a variety of designs for the top stopper. Laquered hardwood box from $139-$185. Oh..Oh..Oh...I'm buying. http://www.MistralImports.com
3. From the latest Decanter. This device employes the principles of biofeedback and applied kinesiolgy to predict how harmful or beneficial a "product" (presume this means a wine?) may be to you. The Touchstone VS1 Allergy Scanner. It measures your muscle strength (I assume they're talking hand muscles, not other appendages!!) and hold it near, alerting you via colored lights as to its probable effects. Invented by the famous Peter Mackeonis. Only $150. Oh..Oh..Oh...I'm buying TWO!! http://www.VitaScans.com

Sure looks to me like magnets are now passe. I'm trying to figure out how I can use some of our Depleted Uranium to enhance one's wine experience.
Tom
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WOW...Fantastic Wine Gizmos...

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:32 am

TomHill wrote:From the latest WineEnthusiast:

Were these paid advertisements, Tom, or an article (one hopes) making fun of these toys?
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

by TomHill » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:47 am

Robin,
The Wine Prism was a small news clip. The Wine Scepter was a paid ad.

My next AbqJournal article is going to be Snake Oil and Magnets. Been spending a week w/ my new BevWizard. Shore can't tell any difference.
Tom
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:51 am

TomHill wrote:Shore can't tell any difference.

What a surprise! I'll look forward to seeing your article, Tom. Remember, though, the time I tested a "wine crystal" with similar results, and the proprietor accused me of "breaking" it? :)
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:18 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
TomHill wrote:Shore can't tell any difference.

What a surprise! I'll look forward to seeing your article, Tom. Remember, though, the time I tested a "wine crystal" with similar results, and the proprietor accused me of "breaking" it? :)

Link

speaking of Gizmos.....
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:19 pm

TomHill wrote:(when's the last time you had a wine whose label came off in water??)

MOCOOL - actually they were the labels on my home made wine. Not only that, the inks from my my inkjet printer ran together, making them illegible. :oops:
However, perhaps you have given me food for a new thread.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:46 pm

Tom Hill wrote:This is a surgical stainless steel wand that you insert in the freezer for several hours... Laquered hardwood box from $139-$185.

Tom, If I understand correctly they are asking between $139 and $185 for a couple pieces of stainless steel in a nice box. "Ya, the damned rod kept poking in the eye every time I took a drink of my wine, but how great does that laquered box look on the mantle?"

Purchasing any of these items is a sure sign that a person has too much money and way too much free time.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Awwwww, Sam....

by TomHill » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Ye of little faith.....don't forget the magical O-rings that hold the thing in!!! :-)
Tom