The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

1st wine tasting a blast!!!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Dallas, TX

1st wine tasting a blast!!!

by RonicaJM » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:59 pm

I hosted my first wine tasting last night and we had so much fun! :lol: In spite of the fact it was the blind leading the clueless, I think we all came away from it a little more wine savvy.

There were 6 official wines in the tasting and 3 others that were included afterward. We stayed in the $9-$13 range. The winner was the least expensive: Cycles Gladiator Syrah- 2004 at $8.99.

We also tried a yummy Cline ancient vines Mouvedre 2003. This one was excellent w/ cheese and wasn't one of the original 6.

We going to have another one at the end of October. :D
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: 1st wine tasting a blast!!!

by Bob Henrick » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:10 pm

Ronica, was the Cline mouvedre the small berry one or their regular. The small berry bottle runs about $30 just to help in case you have tossed the bottle.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:20 pm

I think it's the regular. My friend who brought it said it runs about $40 retail. She has a friend who is a rep for Cline who she gets it from. The bottle doesn't say anything about small berry. I liked it and I'm hoping I can get some more soon.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:30 pm

Excellent
Wine tastings can be educational, but more so, they can be a great chance to get round a table with friends and enjoy discovering what wines light your fire.
I've always been surprised how few straight Mourvedre's there are. It seems to get a bit lost in Shiraz/Grenache/Mourvedre blends - perhaps there's never much in there. It does seem to do better in Shiraz/Mourvedre blends though.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:35 pm

Great!! Look out for the Cline late- harvest Mourvedre in the half bottle. Keep an eye on Wine Focus here this month...Cabs from Chile and California I believe!!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:47 pm

Ronica, I am not sure where you are, but the regular OV Mouvedre from Cline should be well under $20, more like 12-14. The Small berry however is more than $30 where I live.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:55 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Ronica, I am not sure where you are, but the regular OV Mouvedre from Cline should be well under $20, more like 12-14. The Small berry however is more than $30 where I live.

Bob, If I'm not mistaken (and I am often mistaken) Ancient Vines Mourvedre, as Ronica states above, says it all. It's not Small Berry as this is another product.

Check it out here: here goes Gary linking again.

Or did I miss something as usual? Oldtimer's Disease ...

By the way, I'm a member of Cline's Pendulum Club. I do it for the free popcorn and the opportunity to view the aviary behind the tasting room. They have one heck of a garden, too.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:45 am

Sounds like a great time, Ronica! You realize, of course, that this was the "gateway" tasting. From here, you will just go deeper and deeper into wine geek-dom until you're hosting blind tastings of stuff like Croatian dessert wines and Loire whites.

And much fun will be had along the way...

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:53 am

Gary, aren't you saying the same thing I am saying. The Ancient vines is under $20 and the small berry is over $30. At least here in Lexington, I buy the AV mourvedre for about $13 and the small berry is about $31. Or did I misunderstand your meaning?
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:28 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Gary, aren't you saying the same thing I am saying. The Ancient vines is under $20 and the small berry is over $30. At least here in Lexington, I buy the AV mourvedre for about $13 and the small berry is about $31. Or did I misunderstand your meaning?

I thought somewhere up there you were asking whether Ronica had the AV or the SB. And it seemed to my generally addled mind that you might have been suggesting that there was a SM AV. All I was doing was indicating that the SM and AV are different products without any twain-meeting. You are, however, absolutely correct about the difference in price.
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:16 pm

Mike, you're right. We already have our next tasting on the calendar and my husband was laughing at me last night when he realized that I was reading the Wine Bible as he was watching a movie.
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Dallas, TX

by RonicaJM » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:19 pm

I'm going to get on Cline's website to see how much that wine's SRP is. My friend, who gets the wine from a Cline sales rep, must have had her info wrong. I hope she does, so that now I can afford it. :D