The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Relatively Rose`

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

Relatively Rose`

by AaronW » Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:57 pm

Does any one know of any new world rose` that isn't called "blush" :oops: , "White Zinfandel" :oops: , or "White Merlot" :oops: that exhibits good complexity without the cloying sweetness as the wines named above? Are there any? Am I just not looking hard enough? Not trying enough wines? We can make award winning Reds & Whites, but nothing in between?? WHAT THE HAY??!! :x What makes it so freaking hard to make a great wine that has just a little grapeskin exposure when we can do it with total exposure and no exposure? Is it an intrinsic difficulty in rose` production? Maybe it's just not worth screwing with when there are so many other wine ventures to pursue with "just reds" and "just whites". Anyway, enough with the emotion. Help please!!
Last edited by AaronW on Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Relatively Rose`

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:04 pm

I posted recently on a pink tasting! The `05 Fire Block Dry Rose (grenache) from land of Oz, a sure fire winner.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:32 pm

Just search "rose" on the search function. You will turn up notes for many N.A. roses. Having said that, I do prefer the Old World particularly the French.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:42 pm

For new world rose you could try Tablas Creek, Calera Vin Gris or Celeidh by Matt Garretson. Although I'd hardly call the latter a Rose. They're all kind of spendy though. I typically stick to the old world for my pink -Better wines, better prices.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

arnie del rosario

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:48 am

Manila, Philippines

by arnie del rosario » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:41 am

Two roses from Oz come to mind - Torbrecks Saignee and Charles Melton's Rose of Virginia.

Both would certainly compete against the best roses from anywhere, though they are a bit pricey.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:40 am

Welcome to the forum Arnie. Look forward to hearing more from you, any Oz wines out there we should know about (whisper)?