The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Inniskillen Ice Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Inniskillen Ice Wines

by JC (NC) » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:30 pm

This tasting was part of the Pinehurst Food and Wine Festival over Labor Day weekend.

Constellation, a humongous wine and liquor entity, purchased Inniskillen, Vincor, Jackson-Triggs (all Canadian) and Kim Crawford (New Zealand). Robert Mondavi wines also come under Constellation now. Icon Estates is the fine wine component of Constellation. I attended a seminar/tasting on Ice Wine by a spokesman for Icon Estates who is also one of the founders of the Triangle Wine Experience in Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area.
The grapes for the ice wines we tasted are grown in the Niagara Peninsula of Canada and the wines are made with 10-12% residual sugar. We first had a VIDAL SPARKLING ICE WINE (no mousse or bubbles evident). Medium gold color. Plenty of acid structure. (Vidal is a European/American hybrid grape).
Next we had a RIESLING ICE WINE (btw, I've seen ice wine as two words, one word or hyphenated so will use the two words in English--it's one word in German, Eiswein).
The Riesling was lovely and came through as advertised with apricot/nectar and honey nose. It was chewier than the first wine. Still had the acid structure to balance the residual sugar.
Then we had a CABERNET FRANC ICE WINE. I really liked this one too. It is about $65 the half bottle (more expensive than the Riesling at about $58 the half bottle). Red berry nose--strawberry or maybe strawberry/raspberry mix. Very nice.

Finally the Inniskillen OAK-AGED VIDAL ICE WINE. A bit of fermentation takes place in oak barrels but the fermentation starts in stainless steel. Not much new oak is utilized. It was not oppressively oaked, but I prefered the purer aromas/flavors of the unoaked wines.

I wanted to buy a half bottle of the Riesling (and maybe later order more Riesling plus the Cabernet Franc) but the Riesling was sold out when I inquired so I took home a half bottle of the C.F.

It was a treat to sample such limited production wines.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Inniskillen Ice Wines

by Howie Hart » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:45 pm

From an area between 10 and 50 miles west of where I live, there are about 120 wineries on the Niagara Peninsula, almost all of which make ice wine. Many of the wineries have free tastings, but charge to taste the ice wines. I can appreciate why its so expensive, however, I've found they are about 30% cheaper when purchased in liquor stores in New York State vs the winery. Go figure. :?