The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine fridge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Josh

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Bermuda

Wine fridge

by Josh » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:07 pm

I need to buy a wine fridge in a couple months, probably a big one.

Anyone have one they like or ones to avoid?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Wine fridge

by Bob Henrick » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:45 pm

I have a Vinotheque QT Gold 550 that is probably 15 years old or older and it is still working right along.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:18 pm

I have a Vinotemp that's about 6 years old now. Holds about 380 bottles. It has no significant insulation -- just the particle-board walls -- so it isn't really suitable if its surroundings are subject to a lot of warmth. It's in the garage here in Silly-Con Valley, where we don't get many days when it gets very hot. It's able to keep the temperature swings down to about plus or minus 2 degrees, which is more than good enough in my opinion, but it does run a fair amount of the time in the summer.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:44 pm

I also have a Vinotemp in the garage.. it's the economy line 550 model. They are insulated, but I upgraded to the bigger/more powerful cooling unit when I bought it.

The racking is all Burgundy/Chard instead of the smaller Bordeaux racking that is standard. I would highly recommend going that route since Bordeaux racking will scrape the labels off lots of those big ass bottles.. Syrah, Chard, lots of Pinot bottles, some Rhones, etc.

Whatever cellar you buy, be sure to check out the size of the racking. I couldn't get my hand into the regular racking (my cellar stores 2-deep).

I like my Vinotemp and, knocking on wood, it has performed great so far.. nice digital read out. I bought mine off the showroom floor, ready to go for about $1500 plus the cooling unit upgrade. So, you might ask about specials, floor models, etc. from whomever you decide to buy.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Josh

Rank

Wine geek

Bermuda

by Josh » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:32 pm

Cool, Thanks!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:11 pm

I owned a Vinotemp for awhile too, and was very happy with it. I had standard Bdx racking but then that's mostly the kind of bottle I wanted in there, and I used the fat upper right and whole bottom shelf for around 50 Burg type bottles. One of the best things I can say about it is that when my cooling unit futzed out after warranty, Vinotemp replaced it gratis anyway. All I had to pay was the shipping on the unit they asked to be returned to them first.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Josh

Rank

Wine geek

Bermuda

by Josh » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:35 pm

http://www.iwawine.com/orstore/showitem ... R51MP-500C

This is the one I am eyeing. A pretty penny, but it is the size and capacity I want.

A question about wine fridges: do they control humidity? Or just some? or none?

Probably a dumb question...
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:30 pm

This is an approximation to the one I have:
http://www.vinotemp.com/600-e-p-75.html
I don't see the exact thing in the catalog, 5 years after I bought it. :-)

Some cellars do control humidity. Mine doesn't, and doesn't have a magic temperature readout, just a little thermometer that you hang from a nail or something. Here in Sillycon Valley, the humidity increase from cooling the cellar makes the humidity just about right.

It cost me about $1600.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:18 am

John - Santa Clara wrote:This is an approximation to the one I have:
http://www.vinotemp.com/600-e-p-75.html
I don't see the exact thing in the catalog, 5 years after I bought it. :-)

Some cellars do control humidity. Mine doesn't, and doesn't have a magic temperature readout, just a little thermometer that you hang from a nail or something. Here in Sillycon Valley, the humidity increase from cooling the cellar makes the humidity just about right.

It cost me about $1600.

Next year, when my Napa storage contract is up, I nay need to invest in something like this one.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach