The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chandon de Briailles, Oz Riesling, VdP rose

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Chandon de Briailles, Oz Riesling, VdP rose

by Dale Williams » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:21 pm

I recently opined it was best to leave all 2002 red Burgundies alone, but I am nothing if not inconsistent, and found myself opening a bottle of 2002 Domaine Chandon de Briailles "Ile des Vergelesses"Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Tuesday to accompany some leftover Copper River coho and potato gratin. Ok, okl, it was tight at first. But a lovely pure lighter bodied wine emerged with some air time. Strawberry and black cherry fruit framed by lovely minerality. Clean, pure, long, and satisfying. Very nice for under $30 Burgundy. A-

Wednesday Betsy had a late rehearsal and asked me to take care of dinner. I barbecued chicken (using leftover hoisin-garlic-chili BBQ sauce Betsy had made for ribs Monday) and grilled corn. The 2005 Domaine de Gournier (VdP des Cevennes) was an acceptable light rosé, hints of herb over sweet strawberry fruit (dry wine, just sweet impression from fruit)with
moderate acidity. Does anyone know where Cevennes is? I assume Provence or Languedoc. There are better rosés out there, but this is a decent value at $7.xx. B-/B

We also attempted to try a 2004 Banrock Station Riesling. I usually like Oz Riesling, but there's nothing to like here. Dull lemon flavors (lemon flavors but low acid, go figure), soft and short. Dilute, and that's a good thing in this case. Not worth drinking. C-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Chandon de Briailles, Oz Riesling, VdP rose

by Ian Sutton » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:38 pm

Dale
Not too surprised by the Banrock Station - would have expected a lick of sugary sweetness in there as well. It's a shame as even Jacob's Creek do a very handy riesling at a fair price.
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:14 pm

The Banrock was indeed off-off dry. I kind of expect a little sweetness in the cheaper Oz Rieslings, but this was flabby, too. It was brought by someone to a large (non-geeky) Labor Day party and never opened. I always try everything. Though the Yellowtail 1.5 also left from party has me scared
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:51 pm

Does anyone know where Cevennes is?

The southern part of the Massif Central, which empties onto the Languedoc, although it would be interesting to see where exactly in the moutain range the wine comes from.