Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Laugh of the day

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Laugh of the day

by Larry Greenly » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:53 am

It's extremely rare for me to laugh while driving, but the other day when I was driving past the Sonic hamburg drive-in joint, I saw this young guy wearing huge baggy pants heading that way.

What made me laugh was the way he was mincing toward the Sonic like a geisha girl. He had to take small steps because the waist of his pants was at his knee level (literally). Muy macho.

[And I apologize if any of you wear your pants that way.]
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

Re: Laugh of the day

by DebA » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:30 am

That made me laugh just envisioning it :) Peeps...where do they get their very uncool "cool" ideas from? :cool:
no avatar
User

Laura Brand-Bauer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Hanover, Michigan

by Laura Brand-Bauer » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:34 am

My husband describes these contemporary urban youth fashions as "See how useless I am." The sleeves that go past the fingertips, the shoelaces untied, etc.

It's kind of a twisted version of Thorstein Veblen's "conspicuous consumption." "I am so highly valued and not required to work that I dress conspicuously to highlight my status."
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:08 pm

Laura Brand-Bauer wrote:"I am so highly valued and not required to work that I dress conspicuously to highlight my status."

I thought it was more along the lines of, "There is NO way I'm getting a job, so scr*w it ... " :lol:
no avatar
User

Laura Brand-Bauer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:05 pm

Hanover, Michigan

by Laura Brand-Bauer » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I thought it was more along the lines of, "There is NO way I'm getting a job, so scr*w it ... " :lol:

All in the eye of the beholder :wink:
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:24 pm

My uncle tells me that most of his fiends who are still on the force (he's a disabled state parole officer) love the lastest fashions since it's not as uncommon as one would think for a suspect to trip over their own pants while trying to escape. Makes you wonder where their brains are. Then again, when they're dressed like that, maybe not :lol: .