The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Finally an Amarone I like ;-)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Finally an Amarone I like ;-)

by Saina » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:47 pm

I've never had a Valtellina before. It seems to be a lighter, earlier maturing Nebbiolo than Barolos and Barbarescos. This was an example of the Sforzato, which is a bit like an Amarone if I understood correctly. This bottle whetted my appetite for their basic Valtellina - which I gather will be my next bottle. This was paired with a mushroom risotto with extra onions and a generous drop of this wine so that it was a bit sweeter than what I normally make.

• 1998 Cantina Vini Plozza Valtellina Sfursat Vin da Ca' - Italy, Lombardia, Valtellina (9/9/2006) 14,5% (yikes!!!!, doesn't stick out) 34,60€ (yikes, should have been too expensive for me to buy!!!!)

Typically light colour. The nose is very sweet with a raisiny edge like a Sforzato is supposed to be, I guess. It is also prominently vegetal and obviously unspoofulated Nebbiolo despite that "Amarone" note to it. The palate is concentrated and sweet but with fine acidity and though tannic, it is all in balance and showing very well right now. It has remarkable length and is very fresh despite the "Amaroneness". I like it.

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: Finally an Amarone I like ;-)

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:07 pm

This sounds like good stuff, Otto. The only sforzato I've had is the Conti Sertoli Salis Canua Sforzato (Valtellina). You are right, it's nebbiolo that is left on vine to get extra ripe, then left on mats (ala amarone) until Feb/Mar after harvest. This particular wine was aged in foudre then for a short time in French barrique.
As far as amarone, there are some heavily new oaked variants out there. I've really enjoyed Bertani amarone though as it's Slavonian oak aged.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:26 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:This particular wine was aged in foudre then for a short time in French barrique.
As far as amarone, there are some heavily new oaked variants out there. I've really enjoyed Bertani amarone though as it's Slavonian oak aged.

Hold on Bill! Did you mean that the Plozza is aged in barriques for a while? If you did, it worked, because I can't see the barrique anywhere. I wonder if this is Amarone-like enough for Suvi... Must try it out on her also, because this is something I'll gladly drink a glass or two of also.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:04 pm

Sorry for the confusion, Otto. The Sertoli Salis sees some barrique but it's pretty well disguised as well. I know nothing of the Plozza.
These wines (sforzato) are supposed to age incredibly well