The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva 1989

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva 1989

by Saina » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:27 pm

Opened to soothe the pain of my most recent running injury. I started off well, but wondered after 2km why jogging is getting difficult. At three km my right ankle was in quite a bit of pain at which I headed for home. I only managed to jog one more km before I had to limp the rest of the way home. This is a dashed shame as usually on Sundays I've jogged 15-20 km, occasionally doing a half marathon+. The wine has almost made me smile, but not quite (too much pain for such things like smiling). The wine is brilliant and works well with the left overs of last night's risotto. I was surprised to see on cellar tracker that this is close to the end of its drinking window. For my tastes, it's just at the beginning of it. I'd like to keep this 5-10 years longer.

• 1989 Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial - Spain, La Rioja, Rioja (9/10/2006)
    Fairly dark colour, some orange. The nose is quite lovely, but rather young and needs an hour decanting to open up. It has fine fruit and all the citrussy character of old style Rioja,with leather and earth, but also a touch of vanillary oak still noticable. The palate is sweetly fruity, still rather tannic and oaky, but with divinely high levels of acidity. Very long and savoury despite the sweet fruit. Lovely.

Posted from CellarTracker

Never run. Swim instead.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva 1989

by Ian Sutton » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:06 pm

Otto
I hope you elevated your ankle whilst you had glass in hand! Maybe an open mike on rioja beckons... :idea:
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:08 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Otto
I hope you elevated your ankle whilst you had glass in hand! Maybe an open mike on rioja beckons... :idea:
regards
Ian

Yes: cold, rest and elevation are always applied during injury. No more open Mikes please as there are the Teroldego and Lombardy ones that I've sort of thought of doing with ... you know who ... Bob. :) I've got a couple tastings coming up next week so I can't take up one more OM. Sorry. Besides, I have no more Riojas after this one.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:20 pm

Otto
No probs - looking forward to your ones (maybe I might be able to get a Valtellina in :idea: )
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:28 pm

Thanks, Otto. I've only had the 1970 vintage of this wine (I've been spoiled by Perry) but this one sounds wonderful.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:40 pm

So you got one of the good bottles.

There are a number of these with VA so bad, it'll strip the paint off your walls...
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

by DebA » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:41 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:Opened to soothe the pain of my most recent running injury. I started off well, but wondered after 2km why jogging is getting difficult. At three km my right ankle was in quite a bit of pain at which I headed for home. I only managed to jog one more km before I had to limp the rest of the way home. This is a dashed shame as usually on Sundays I've jogged 15-20 km, occasionally doing a half marathon+. The wine has almost made me smile, but not quite (too much pain for such things like smiling). The wine is brilliant and works well with the left overs of last night's risotto. I was surprised to see on cellar tracker that this is close to the end of its drinking window. For my tastes, it's just at the beginning of it. I'd like to keep this 5-10 years longer.

• 1989 Marqués de Murrieta Rioja Castillo Ygay Gran Reserva Especial - Spain, La Rioja, Rioja (9/10/2006)
    Fairly dark colour, some orange. The nose is quite lovely, but rather young and needs an hour decanting to open up. It has fine fruit and all the citrussy character of old style Rioja,with leather and earth, but also a touch of vanillary oak still noticable. The palate is sweetly fruity, still rather tannic and oaky, but with divinely high levels of acidity. Very long and savoury despite the sweet fruit. Lovely.
Posted from CellarTracker

Never run. Swim instead.

I'm sorry you are in pain, Otto, but did want you to know that I sincerely appreciate your recommendation for a good sherry on the WLDG chat this afternoon. Take it easy and do allow that ankle to heal. There are definitely worse ways to spend an afternoon than kicking back with a lovely glass of wine :cool:
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:23 pm

regards
Ian

Bob Parsons, are you listening? I think this would be fun too. I have had a misserable wekend winewise wnd some rioja might be just the ticket, despite the grumblings of a certain Latin Liquidator. Great call Ian! If next weekend is taken, let's get it in the rotation.

Otto, great note. I'm sorry to hear about the injury. Obviosly this wine is pre-modern. What is there current style? Have they gone over to the dark side? I am always nervous about Spanish wines as the ones that I can get are all too spoofed. I wish I could have tasted this one with you. Sounds like it was delish and could have used a nice hunk of grilled meat to go with it. Stay off that leg until it is healed. In your spare time do some bojo tastings and write up the notes. I keep telling my wife their are no calories in wine as wine is from heaven and nothing from heaven has calories in it. :roll: You think she'll buy it? :? Me either. Be good to yourself and get better.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:35 pm

Hey what yeah me, Bob P here!! Was up north checking on the dogs today. Lovely weather here right now but can see the dog team out once we get some snow!!

Rioja, sure. Mind you, have so much Spain right now. Been buying into some of the new stuff. Am still thinking Riesling for a couple of days though but lets do it. Who is gonna call? Come to think of it, local store has a Spain/Portugal tasting this wednesday. Should be interesting, then a brown bagger for Mishy on Thursday!! Ruth will be there but Bob McD is away.
The cab thread seems to be on the back burner right now but still lots of time eh.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:10 pm

James Roscoe wrote: Obviosly this wine is pre-modern. What is there current style? Have they gone over to the dark side?

The quality was not worth bothering with through most of the 90's. Not that the wines were bad, but just not worth the effort. They came out with a modern cuvee (i.e. heavy bottle) called Dalmau which I feel they spent most of there efforts on. I think they also make (made) a QPR under another label for around $10 which was pretty good, though I can't find it on the website.

Apparently, they've returned to form (or so we've been told) with some of the recent releases of the Gran Reserva (98 Ygay Gran Reserva) but I haven't had one yet. Let's hope...

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:41 pm

I've found a lot of variability in the '89, with VA levels ranging from medium-high to intolerable. But liked my last one.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:23 pm

Thanks for the info Joe. I was hoping you might pipe in. I haven't seen much of Manuel lately. I hope everything is okay. I assume he is off doing research.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:47 pm

I had an e-mail from him last week. I think he's probably scooting back and forth to Santa Domingo.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:48 pm

Thanks for that too. He's one of the good guys.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:04 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
regards
Ian

Yes: cold, rest and elevation are always applied during injury. No more open Mikes please as there are the Teroldego and Lombardy ones that I've sort of thought of doing with ... you know who ... Bob. :) I've got a couple tastings coming up next week so I can't take up one more OM. Sorry. Besides, I have no more Riojas after this one.

-O-

Guess what I found this afternoon as I was picking up my $38 Prosecco!! A Teroldego from Montevina, Calif.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:11 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Guess what I found this afternoon as I was picking up my $38 Prosecco (yup 38), a Teroldego from Montevina!!!! Staff at store says it rocks!!!!

Thirty-Eight bucks for Prosecco!?!?!?!?! Even in Canadian money that's $20 too much. What makes it so special? Was it blessed by the Pope? (He's German you know.) Where the grapes hand-picked by beautiful, naked, buxom virgins during the full moon of the fall equinox? (If so are there pictures?) What gives Bob? I like Prosecco as much as the next guy, but for $38 I'm buying Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:59 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Guess what I found this afternoon as I was picking up my $38 Prosecco (yup 38), a Teroldego from Montevina!!!! Staff at store says it rocks!!!!

Thirty-Eight bucks for Prosecco!?!?!?!?! Even in Canadian money that's $20 too much. What makes it so special? Was it blessed by the Pope? (He's German you know.) Where the grapes hand-picked by beautiful, naked, buxom virgins during the full moon of the fall equinox? (If so are there pictures?) What gives Bob? I like Prosecco as much as the next guy, but for $38 I'm buying Champagne.

Thats basically what I heard as I slapped the $38 bottle down on the kitchen counter top!! Should have removed the price sticker!!!