The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Nigerian scam comes to wine!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Nigerian scam comes to wine!

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:32 am

This is funny, but it's also worth publicizing in the wine universe, on the off chance a retailer or distributor might be taken in. What do you folks think are the odds that if I followed up on this, the "client" would next want my banking information, or maybe a "good faith deposit"?

DEAR SALES
I WILL LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE THIS PRODUCT AVAILABLE IN STOCK

dom perignon 1998
10 cases

moet and chandon 1998
10 cases

IF YOU HAVE IN STOCK I WILL LIKE TO KNOW THE TOTAL COST + SHIPPING COST TO MY BELOW ADDRESS WHICH I WILL ME REMIT MY PAYMENT WITH CREDIT CARDAND ALSO I WILL LIKE MY ORDERSHIPPEDVIA DHL 3 TO 5 DAYS EXPRESS
77 OLISA STREET
PAPA AJAO
MISHIN LAGOS
23401 NIGERIA
I AWAIT YOUR URGENT RESPONSE ASAP

(If anybody wants to have some fun with these bozoes, be my guest. Their E-mail is bros_parts@yahoo.com)
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Nigerian scam comes to wine!

by Peter May » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:22 am

There have been a whole lot of this type of emails coming to merchants (and others - I've had a few) in the UK and I believe some have fallen for it.

They are different from the '$25billion in bank account' and 'you've won a lottery you didn't enter' scam in that they appear to be offering a business deal where they pay for goods.

Som ehave asked for delivery locally, i.e. they or their mates are in thecountry. Another trader reported receiving threatening phonecalls after he had second thoughts and terminated a transaction.

If anyone wants to play with these guys, I'd suggest doing it from an email address that doesn't lead back to them.
Last edited by Peter May on Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:25 am

Peter May wrote:I believe some have fallen for it.

They are different from the '$25billion in bank account' and 'you've won a lottery you didn't enter' scam in that they appear to be offering a business deal where they pay for goods.

Exactly ... question is, Peter, what does "fall for it" involve? Was my surmise correct that the purported buyer tries to get banking information from the merchant, which the scammer then uses to try to drain the account?
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:33 am

They pay with a fake credit card or by bank transfer. The merchant sends out the goods then the transaction is cancelled by the bank because its fraudulant.

And they'vegot 20 cases of vintage Champagne.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:39 am

Peter May wrote:They pay with a fake credit card or by bank transfer. The merchant sends out the goods then the transaction is cancelled by the bank because its fraudulant.

And they'vegot 20 cases of vintage Champagne.

I'm surprised the bank would clear a credit-card transaction or wire-transfer without fraud-checking first ... it would seem that a prudent merchant would wait long enough to ensure that the payment had cleared.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Awwwwwww, Robin...

by TomHill » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:27 pm

You and your conspiracy theories..... it sounds to me that it's merely some of our Lagos WLDG folks preparing for their next off-line!!!!
Tom
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:50 pm

There's less merchant protection for called-in cards than for swiped. I've heard of merchants being burned. Typically these orders are linked to theft rings. When the merchant calls for cc info, the "buyer" gives him a just-received stolen number (not usually card, those the ring takes to stores and charge like crazy for a few hours). The merchant punches in the number, gets approval, sends merchandise. The account holder probably doesn't realize there's a problem till next statement, by then delivery is made. If they do recieve notice it's stolen in time, they can try and stop delivery. In most cases the delivery address (in US northern NJ is the champ) is an apartment - even if the delivery service can get police to investigate, the most they'll bust is the smallest of the small fry.
no avatar
User

Gavin Trott

Rank

Cellar rat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:32 pm

Australia

by Gavin Trott » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:06 pm

Robin

Hi

I've got lost of those.

Next step they come to the web site and order, with credit card payment, for delivery to Nigeria. had a few of these too.

Next step, only once, they rang me!!!

Wanted a whoole bunch of wine, said their Canadian wine shipper would come in person, here to Australia, and pay for the wine.

Sheesh!!! :roll: :roll:
regards

Gavin Trott
Australian Wine Centre
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:09 pm

Gavin Trott wrote:Wanted a whoole bunch of wine, said their Canadian wine shipper would come in person, here to Australia, and pay for the wine.

Sheesh!!! :roll: :roll:

Let him bring cash, get it into the bank, THEN ship the wine ...