The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

On the value of taking inventory.....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

On the value of taking inventory.....

by OW Holmes » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:52 pm

Prompted by Ronica's question - one of many good ones - about the number of wines we winos keep in our cellar, I took a partial inventory. I discovered a real value to it.
1) I didn't pick up and fondle all bottles, but many. Many brought back wonderful memories. Big memories, small memories. The Lail reminded me of the California Dreamin MoCOOl and the great people I met there. The Clos des Pape reminded me of the porch of the bed-n-breakfast where I met Jim and Rae Lee Lester on our 40th anniversary. More....
2) I found out I don't have some bottles I really thought I still had. Whatever happened to that '96 Cinq Cepages? I know I had two and drank one. And the '94 Pichon Baron. My two year old inventory says I have two left - but they are not here..and the Barbaresco, a 95 Barolo.. And more.
3) In the "Where the hell did that come from" category are two bottles of 2003 Australian Petite Sirah, several low end spanish wines, a bottle of 1987 Far Niente Cabernet Sauvignon, a couple 2002 J.J.Prum Wehlener Sonenuhr Spatleses, and a 1996 Argiano Brunello.
4) And in the "Oh, yeah, I wondered about that" was a 1998 cheap Cotes du Rhone, Jaboulet Aine Parallele 45, Which is the real point of this post. This should be long gone, one would think. And it is no longer the big fruity thing I think I remember. Now it is elegant, leathery, with restrained red and black fruits and black pepper, not one after the other or layered but all together. Perhaps a bit simple. But perfectly wonderful because it so exceeds expectations. It alone justified the time counting and logging in wines. Next up, the Argiano Brunello.
-OW
no avatar
User

RonicaJM

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:43 pm

Dallas, TX

Re: On the value of taking inventory.....

by RonicaJM » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:14 pm

OW, I envy your inventory and your memories. This seems like such a fun hobby to me. At the wine tasting I hosted last week one of the ladies there said her and her husband will often tour a local vineyard for their date night. They also attend these dinners at wineries that serve a different wine w/ each course. They've recently gone to a vineyard in east Texas to help with harvesting the grapes. She has lots of fond memories, too.

I wonder what her cellar looks like. :wink:
In vino veritas...
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:25 pm

OW Holmes wrote:3) In the "Where the hell did that come from" category are two bottles of 2003 Australian Petite Sirah, several low end spanish wines, a bottle of 1987 Far Niente Cabernet Sauvignon, a couple 2002 J.J.Prum Wehlener Sonenuhr Spatleses, and a 1996 Argiano Brunello.

Why is it the stuff you think you have is good but not there and the stuff you think you don't have is usually junk. A J.J. Prum Spatlese is worth a try but a '03 Petit Sirah???? You aren't as old as I thought. My wife and I just celebrated our 36th anniversary and I am very young.
Walt
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:35 pm

wrcstl wrote:Why is it the stuff you think you have is good but not there and the stuff you think you don't have is usually junk. A J.J. Prum Spatlese is worth a try but a '03 Petit Sirah???? You aren't as old as I thought. My wife and I just celebrated our 36th anniversary and I am very young.
Walt

Walt, I have no idea why I have some of what I didn't know I had. Petite
Syrah???? I admit to liking a Ridge York Creek a couple of years ago, but I had no idea I purchased these bottles, or why, or truthfully even if I did. They didn't even look familiar.
As for the missing stuff, I must presume they were the victim of "wine tasting party ending in the wine cellar and opening bottles indiscriminately" sometime in the last couple of years.
My memory is apparently totally indiscriminate.
But that is perhaps a sure sign that i AM old.
-OW
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:50 pm

Wine tasting parties in the cellar..... a recent conversation at Ranch Doris!!!

"I`m up north for a couple of days dear".
"Have you left me some wines?"
"Yup, usual 3 bottom racks in wine fridge A".
"Thats all I am allowed?".
"You can choose whatever you like!".

So it goes on!!! Once I returned home, shelf #5 and 6 had seen better days!!
Bl.... rodeo parties!!