Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fair Food One Should Always Eat

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Fair Food One Should Always Eat

by Larry Greenly » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:21 pm

I visited the NM State Fair today (thank god, I don't work there anymore) to see my aunt and her food stands. I cooked up a fair-ly gourmet meal just like old times, mmm, mmm:

Appetizer:

Frilly fries--flat spiral-cut potatoes deep-fried in a cholesterol-free vegetable oil until golden brown, lightly salted with Morton's salt enhanced with iodine, and sprinkled with Frank's Hot Sauce (the original sauce used in Buffalo Wings). [Don't confuse frilly fries with curly fries, which are very heavy and grease-laden.]

Entree:

Philly Steak Sandwich--a sauteed conglomeration of processed beef and mushrooms, onions, green peppers, and sliced white cheese on an EarthGrains deli-style soft hoagie roll, lightly grilled, and topped with Hunt's tomato ketchup.

Vegetable:

Roast Corn in Husk, served in a twist of grease-proof paper, buttered and lightly salted with Morton's salt enhanced with iodine.

Dessert:

Unknown Appellation--an apple with a plastic cup of caramel sauce and a combination of walnut halves and crushed peanuts. [I passed on the cotton candy.]

Wine:

2006 20-oz Diet Coke in a plastic bottle with a screw-cap.

[/b]
no avatar
User

DebA

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:11 am

N. of the equator

Re: Fair Food One Should Always Eat

by DebA » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:22 am

Now, that was a post I could sink my teeth into! Mmmm, philly cheese steak sandwiches...divine! :cool:
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

by Andrew Shults » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:37 am

A "Philly" Cheese Steak from New Mexico (or Chicago) is like California "Chablis" or California "Champagne." Image

A transplanted Pennsylvanian.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:48 am

Larry Greenly wrote:I visited the NM State Fair today (thank god, I don't work there anymore) to see my aunt and her food stands. I cooked up a fair-ly gourmet meal just like old times, mmm, mmm:

Good stuff, Larry! Just about everybody loves State Fair food. :lol:

I did a piece and some photos a couple of weeks ago about our State Fair food for LEO, the local alternative weekly, and my Louisville restaurants Website. Ate all manner of food on a stick. Liked most of it.
All’s fare at the Fair
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:26 am

Where's the fried dough? ...or Indian fry bread...yumm!

Good stuff there, Larry.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:47 am

Andrew Shults wrote:A "Philly" Cheese Steak from New Mexico (or Chicago) is like California "Chablis" or California "Champagne." Image

A transplanted Pennsylvanian.

So am I and that's why I cook the best Phillies on the fairgrounds.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:34 pm

No self-respecting fair-goer should go without a corndog and ice cold beer.

It's, like, a law or something...isn't it?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:03 am

True, but I really don't like corndogs--even though I've made thousands of them (hand-dipped, not the frozen, commercial crap).

NM has made it difficult to drink beer at their state fair. You have to stay within little, specially fenced areas to quaff a brew.

Speaking of cotton candy, one year one of our workers was spinning cotton candy and putting them up in plastic bags for sale. We soon got the word they tasted salty. He had used salt, which was in a bucket labeled sugar, so it wasn't his fault, but we had to destroy all of them. And it took a long time to clean out the machine.

I've suggested we use pink fiberglass insulation and fluff it up in lieu of spun sugar. Wonder if that would work?
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:05 pm

Fair [pun intended] enough.

I once worked the Orange County Fair as a Summer job and the fair food there was just plain good eats...unless you're on a diet :wink:

They had a frosted cinnamon roll that was just to die for...and with a hot cup of black coffee, I was in Heaven.

For lunch/dinner BBQ'd Ribs and baked beans with corn on the cob...Man! They aint nothin' better then that!