Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

For Jenise and many others here: Important Book News

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

For Jenise and many others here: Important Book News

by John F » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:48 am

I just finished Julia Child's book "My Life In France"

What a treasure. I know that all of the foodies and wine lovers on the forum will really get a kick out of this book. And I gained a new and very deep respect for Julia Child as a person. I grew up with her being somewhat of a "goofy" character in my mind and still cannot think of her without thinking of the Saturday Night Live skit which so famously lampooned her for tippling and then cutting herself badly.

The book is a great mix of food and wine references, current events from McCarthy to Nixon to the space program, a travelogue and also some really terrific photos taken mostly by her husband.

Just thought I'd pass it along - for forum dwellers I would say this is must read

John
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Re: For Jenise and many others here: Important Book News

by ChefCarey » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:09 am

John F wrote:I just finished Julia Child's book "My Life In France"

What a treasure. I know that all of the foodies and wine lovers on the forum will really get a kick out of this book. And I gained a new and very deep respect for Julia Child as a person. I grew up with her being somewhat of a "goofy" character in my mind and still cannot think of her without thinking of the Saturday Night Live skit which so famously lampooned her for tippling and then cutting herself badly.

The book is a great mix of food and wine references, current events from McCarthy to Nixon to the space program, a travelogue and also some really terrific photos taken mostly by her husband.

Just thought I'd pass it along - for forum dwellers I would say this is must read

John

I had a great fondness for that woman.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: For Jenise and many others here: Important Book News

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:55 am

John F wrote:I grew up with her being somewhat of a "goofy" character in my mind and still cannot think of her without thinking of the Saturday Night Live skit which so famously lampooned her for tippling and then cutting herself badly.

The first time I saw that skit, I was in the hospital, waiting to have my hand operated on to repair some damage from a bad cut I'd gotten in my chemistry class earlier in the day. And it was still hilarious!

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child