The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Tasting Notes from NYC Burgundy Tasting - Sept 2006

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

BenM

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:18 am

Long Island

Tasting Notes from NYC Burgundy Tasting - Sept 2006

by BenM » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:43 pm

Yesterday I attended a Burgundy tasting in NYC. I had the opportunity to taste some absolutely amazing Burgundies and was pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of the wines, especially the whites. The 2003 and 2004 wines that I tasted were overall very satisfying and delicious. I suggest that if you have not had an opportunity to try this vintage that you go out and grab a few bottles for the weekend.

Here is a very brief rundown on several of the best that I tasted along with their respective suggested MSRP.

Gevry-Chambertin 1ER Cru – Lavaux Saint Jacques Vielles Vignes 2004. Best in show so to speak. This wine is produced by a small winemaker named Pierre Naigron who tasted five spectacular wines, this being the best of the lot.

It was very fruit forward with a nose that literally jumped out of the glass. Rose petals and ripe, bing cherries were prevalent as soon as I raised the glass. A very well balanced, well rounded effort that has lots of muscle but shows finesse and should drink well for 3-5 years. MSRP – TBD

Tastevin, Inc – a start-up importer of fine French and Italian wines tasted six wines but three stood out more so than the others. The Montagny, 1ER Cru Les Coeres 2004 was a wonderful, forward, balanced wine. It showed a refreshing fresh zing accompanied by a very long finish. It had the prefect touch of acidity that rounded out a very well balance white wine. MSRP $27.00

Corton, Grand Cru 2002 Burgundy. Simply spectacular. As with the Montagny, this wine was well balanced with a full cherry forward flavor that devoured your entire mouth. Excellent demonstration of terrior as well as a good display of tannins and extraction. MSRP $67.00

The third winner by this newcomer was their Chablis, 1ER Cru Cote de Lechet 2003 – a very good replacement for your typical California Chardonnay but without all of the typical butter that is so common is these wines. And at $22 MSRP, this is wine that can be served weekly that will not break your budget. It was a medium bodied, lemony wine with a short finish that would perfect with grilled chicken of a medium flesh fish such as halibut or sea bass.

Some other very good wines were:

- Bourgogne Pinot Noir 2003 – Imported by Henriot
- Savigney Les Beaune, 1ER Cru 2005 – Imported by Celler Door Selections
- Mercurey, 1ER Cru Champs Martin Domaine Adelie Bichot 2002 – MSRP $33 – Imported by Eagle Eye Importer
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Tasting Notes from NYC Burgundy Tasting - Sept 2006

by Saina » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:28 pm

Thanks for the notes. But who were the producers? Or did I misunderstand, and were all of these from Pierre Naigron?

Saying that a 2003 is a good replacement for Cali Chard is spot on in my opinion: they are flabby, acidless, freakish wines ;) In case you didn't notice, I don't like them...
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

BenM

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:18 am

Long Island

by BenM » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:38 pm

Glad you liked it.

I have to look at my notes for the distributor of the Naigron wines. When I find it I will post online.

The '03 and '04 Pouliy Fousse wines were absolutely fantastic as well.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:40 pm

I think Otto's question is less about the distributor for those wines than the producer for the others. It's unclear what wines we are talking about.