The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

New member hello

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian A

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:16 pm

Kentucky

New member hello

by Brian A » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:34 pm

Hi,

My name is Brian A, and I wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I'm fairly new to wine. I really got interested in it about 6 years ago after touring my 1st winery. I had to know more. So, I went out and bought Wine for Dummies :) . I still think of myself as a beginner in wine appreciation even today, especially after reading a few of the topics on this forum. I just got back from vacationing in Virginia where I had the opportunity to tour 3 wineries. This really boosted my interest again in wine. My wife and I had always stuck to our old favorite, Beringer's White Zin, in the past since she's not a fan of the reds or any dry wines. But, the tastings we experienced at these 3 wineries really opened our eyes to the plethora of differences that can occur in both reds and whites. Speaking for myself I finally was able to gain a better understanding of the terms used to describe wine such as aroma, body, and finish. Now, I look forward to trying new wines, especially those from other countries. I found some really nice wines from Virginia and know that there are more reputable wines out there waiting to be tried. I guess I'll be one to do more reading from this forum than I will be contributing to it since my knowledge is so limited. But, if any have questions or interests in my trip to the Virginia wineries, just let me know, and I'll be happy to post. Thanks everyone.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: New member hello

by Bob Henrick » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:48 pm

Hi Brian, welcome to the forum, and to the wonderful world of wines. About posting, please do NOT allow your newbie status to keep you from posting. I am sure that you will try one or more wines each week, so post on them, tell us which wine and what you thought of it. Post other missives seeking information, IOW ask questions. It would be a shame for you to not take advantage of the vast amount of knowledge here on the WLDG. While you are about it, go ahead and read on the food forum too.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Brian A

Rank

Cellar rat

Kentucky

by Brian A » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:56 pm

Great to see another Kentuckian on the forum! Thanks for the advice. I have a feeling I'll be asking lots of questions on here :P
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:07 pm

Hey, Brian...just know we all started from someplace on the wine scale. I've been enjoying wine for over three decades now and I'm still learning new things.

Besides, to many on this BBS, I am seen as a wine newbie, too. It's a big club :wink:
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:21 pm

Brian
Welcome! We're all learning - so many regions I still haven't tasted wine from.
Have fun
Ian
no avatar
User

Brian A

Rank

Cellar rat

Kentucky

by Brian A » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:05 pm

Thanks everyone that has posted for the warm welcome. I just learned a disturbing truth. Kentucky is a state that doesn't allow out-of-state wine to be directly shipped to customer :cry:
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:42 pm

Glad you're here, Brian! I'll look forward to hearing about your wine experiences.

And yeah, that whole shipping issue really sucks. :(

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:13 pm

Erm.

I think I started from noplace. Have I arrived at someplace yet?

(looking around)

Hm. Looks just like noplace. :-)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:37 pm

Welcome Brian.

I can relate. A doctor got me interested in red wine for health reasons.

My daughter started school at UVA the same year.

20,000 tasting notes later, I'm drafting 200 more from a wine course this week end.

What Virginia wineries did you visit?

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:02 pm

Brian A wrote:My name is Brian A, and I wanted to say hello and introduce myself.

Brian, welcome from another Kentuckian ... I'm in Louisville, what part of the Bluegrass State are you in?

Glad you found your way here, and please don't ever feel reluctant to speak up if you have a comment or question about wine. Some of our conversations can get a little geeky, but we do have participants at all levels of wine knowledge, and we're all learning about this stuff together. There's no such thing as a dumb question, as long as it's sincere.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:38 pm

John, the truth is -- there is some in this place.

Some will tell you what the some is.

Some won't, even if they could.

Some can't, even if they want to.

Bottom line -- a bunch of us can't add any thing up.

So, summing up ....

[darn ... I guess I know what group I'm in. :-)]

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:30 am

Welcome to the forum Brian, you are in good company here!! Is there a good website of what is happening wine-wise in Virginia?
no avatar
User

Brian A

Rank

Cellar rat

Kentucky

by Brian A » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:38 pm

Hello, Robin. Nice to meet you. To answer your question, I live in Glasgow. It's about 30 minutes north of Bowling Green.

Hello, Bob Ross & Bob Parsons. The wineries I went to were Barboursville, Horton Vineyards, and Prince Michel. I will create a new topic to discuss those vineyards and the wines I liked best.

I will post under Wine Related Travel.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:02 pm

Brian A wrote:Hello, Robin. Nice to meet you. To answer your question, I live in Glasgow. It's about 30 minutes north of Bowling Green.

Right off I-65, seat of Barren County, home of former Gov. Louie B. Nunn. Yep, I know where Glasgow is, all right! As I remember, Brian, back in the '70s or '80s there was a great, and all-too-short-lived, country French restaurant called Auberge des Champs down that way. Were you around the area back then?
no avatar
User

Brian A

Rank

Cellar rat

Kentucky

by Brian A » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:32 pm

I've been in the area all my life. Was this restaurant across from the airport? If it's the one I'm thinking about, it's been several different restaurants since then. Now, I don't believe anything is in the building.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:33 pm

Hi Brian'
Welcome to the forum. Visiting wineries is a great way to learn about wine. I'm lucky enough to live within a 2 hour drive of 4 different areas with a number of wineries - Finger Lakes, Lake Erie, Niagara County, NY and Niagara Peninsula, Ontario. Great variety of wines.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:52 pm

Brian A wrote:I've been in the area all my life. Was this restaurant across from the airport? If it's the one I'm thinking about, it's been several different restaurants since then. Now, I don't believe anything is in the building.

Brian, I wish I could remember. It's been years - early '80s, I'd say. It was not in the city, though ... as the name implies ("Inn in the fields"), it was in a more rural location, a farmhouse in a meadow if memory serves, somewhere out in Barren County but not in or close to Glasgow. It was far enough back that Google is useless ... apparently nobody has mentioned it on the Internet. :)
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

by alex metags » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:18 pm

Perhaps not that helpful to the question at hand, but someone has mentioned the restaurant on the Internet :)

http://tinyurl.com/gue38

cheers,
al
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:32 pm

alex metags wrote:http://tinyurl.com/gue38

Very odd, I used that exact search term and didn't get that result. Glad to know I'm not losing my mind, anyway. Thanks, Al!
no avatar
User

Brian A

Rank

Cellar rat

Kentucky

by Brian A » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:07 pm

I was just a kid when that place was around. It went through many different owners and now is not anything. Expensive restaurants don't do well in a rural community or at least not here. Another thing is probably that Glasgow is still dry. Although Cave City has went moist, this may eventually impact Glasgow. I can't see Glasgow allowing Cave City to "out do" them in anything. So, I'm expecting Glasgow to at least go moist, if not wet, in the future.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:54 pm

Brian A wrote:Thanks everyone that has posted for the warm welcome. I just learned a disturbing truth. Kentucky is a state that doesn't allow out-of-state wine to be directly shipped to customer :cry:

How close are you to the Ohio, Indiana or Illinois borders?

If there's a will.... :wink:
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:59 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Brian A wrote:Hello, Robin. Nice to meet you. To answer your question, I live in Glasgow. It's about 30 minutes north of Bowling Green.

Right off I-65, seat of Barren County, home of former Gov. Louie B. Nunn. Yep, I know where Glasgow is, all right! As I remember, Brian, back in the '70s or '80s there was a great, and all-too-short-lived, country French restaurant called Auberge des Champs down that way. Were you around the area back then?

My step-mother's daughter lives with her family in Bowling Green....does that count? :)