Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Freedom fries no more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Freedom fries no more

by Larry Greenly » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:02 am

I read that the Senate cafeteria has changed its pathetically renamed freedom fries back to french fries. I presume freedom toast, freedom dressing and the other foods with new homeland security appellations, er, I mean names, have reverted back to their original monikers. Guess we showed the world, huh?
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

Re: Freedom fries no more

by Ed Draves » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:06 am

I will Freedom kiss my wife when I get home. Too bad I'm a couple of years too slow- I could have refered to French wine as "Freedom wine"
;)
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:01 pm

Ed Draves wrote:I will Freedom kiss my wife when I get home. Too bad I'm a couple of years too slow- I could have refered to French wine as "Freedom wine"
;)

And we could have renamed Sebastian Cabot's character in "Family Affair" Mr. Freedom and dressed him up like Captain America. :roll:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:07 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I read that the Senate cafeteria has changed its pathetically renamed freedom fries back to french fries. I presume freedom toast, freedom dressing and the other foods with new homeland security appellations, er, I mean names, have reverted back to their original monikers. Guess we showed the world, huh?

Couple of nitpicks, Larry: First, this change occurred quietly about six weeks ago. Interestingly, it didn't get the same level of attention from the right-wing talk show gang as did the original change. Funny thing. ;) Second, the Senate cafeteria never made the change, only the House cafeteria did.

Here's a link to a report on all this from the, er, BBC
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:I read that the Senate cafeteria has changed its pathetically renamed freedom fries back to french fries. I presume freedom toast, freedom dressing and the other foods with new homeland security appellations, er, I mean names, have reverted back to their original monikers. Guess we showed the world, huh?

Couple of nitpicks, Larry: First, this change occurred quietly about six weeks ago. Interestingly, it didn't get the same level of attention from the right-wing talk show gang as did the original change. Funny thing. ;) Second, the Senate cafeteria never made the change to "Freedom" fries, only the House cafeteria did.

Here's a link to a report on all this from the, er, BBC
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:26 pm

[quote="Robin GarrSecond, the Senate cafeteria never made the change to "Freedom" fries, only the House cafeteria did.

Here's a link to a report on all this from the, er, BBC[/quote][/quote]

I stand corrected. At least half of our government has some spine and will stay the course by using renamed foods to protect the American way of life.

Repeat after me: Freedom bread, freedom onion soup, freedom vanilla ice cream, freedom vanilla pudding...let freedom ring!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:56 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I stand corrected. At least half of our government has some spine and will stay the course by using renamed foods to protect the American way of life.

For further instruction, <i>this</i> is the kind of upstanding American who pushes this kind of idiocy:

<b>A REPUBLICAN politician pleaded guilty overnight to a wide conspiracy of fraud and influence peddling linked to the Jack Abramoff corruption scandal, the US Justice Department said.

Robert Ney, a member of the House of Representatives, is the first politician to plead guilty in the scandal which forced the resignation of the former leader of the Republican majority in the House, Tom DeLay.

The Ohio legislator, who rebaptised the French fries served in the House cafeteria "freedom fries" in 2003 to protest France's opposition to the Iraq war, is the second Republican politician to plead guilty to corruption in less than a year.</b>
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:49 pm

Is this a food forum or a political forum?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:50 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:Is this a food forum or a political forum?

It's a community of people who really enjoy wine, who talk mostly about wine, and who enjoy segueing off into other topics much as we do when we hang out with wine friends in the real world.

And in this case, who like to have a little fun laughing at some of the greater idiocies of the world ... there's a lot of that around these days, unfortunately.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:32 pm

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:03 pm

Carl, Carl, Carl. Don't you know that corruption and stupidity were invented by the evil Chimpybushitler and his minions? They are magically stupid and devilishly clever, all at once.

Will Rogers' line about trying to do comedy while Congress is in session comes to mind.

Did you know that the Germans don't have a word for schadenfreude?
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:09 pm

Carl, there is plenty of nastiness and corruption on both sides of the fence to go around. If someone thinks the GOP has a monopoly on corruption, they have their head in the sand. Personally, I'm sick to death of the whole political scene -- none of them have the country's interest at heart, only their own agendas. It is sad, truly sad.
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:20 pm

Randy Buckner wrote: none of them have the country's interest at heart, only their own agendas. It is sad, truly sad.

Amen Brother, amen! I got so sick of it that I told the GOP to take my name off their role and their mailing list two or three years ago.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:02 am

Personally, I think that David Icke is correct.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:19 am

All righty there, Stuart. Find a nice shade tree and relax, relax....

"In 2005 he found himself being guided to visit Egypt, specifically the Temple of Hathor at Dendera. The astonishing photographs he took there suggest that we were ruled then by a race of reptilian aliens."[/quote]
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:39 pm

sssss As you know, the oldest part of the brain is the so-called reptilian brain, a bit of knowledge that may have given Icke an idea for his theme.

May the hiss be with you.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:54 pm

So we can stop freedom kissing now?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:09 pm

Political (and religious) discussions tend to become rather heated rather quickly as a result of the participants having long ago formulated entrenched positions on these subjects, and mostly seeing no good reason to actually stop and think about them again with reference to the current discussion.

It is nice to see a group where things political need not turn to immediate acrimony.

Just a comment from the sidelines - not news to anyone, I'm sure.

American politics, is really not that interesting to the rest of the world (OK, so you think it is the only game in town and we all SHOULD be waiting with bated breath for the next development - but we aren't).

And the antics of American politicians rank up there with TV programs (heck, look at the overlap in personnel....) and are passably amusing for a short time, but ultimately much of the laughter reflects badly on the nation - I'd have said on politicians, but they are the same the world over and deserve to be treated with absolute cynicism.

The whole freedom fry business is laughable to the rest of the world, including many American friends, but seems (sadly, from my viewpoint) to be deadly serious to many others, and I expect much discussion on the subject will bring out the polarised opposite sides and deteriorate into something none of us would want to read or contribute to.

Maybe better to end it sooner rather than later? Just a suggestion.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:25 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:The whole freedom fry business is laughable to the rest of the world, including many American friends, but seems (sadly, from my viewpoint) to be deadly serious to many others, and I expect much discussion on the subject will bring out the polarised opposite sides and deteriorate into something none of us would want to read or contribute to.

What I find most amusing about it is the aspect of history repeating itself.

During the wave of anti-German sentiment of World War I, we had "patriotic" renaming going on both in America and Britain:

sauerkraut became "victory cabbage"
weiners and frankfurters became "hot dogs"
the British Royal Family of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha became "Windsor"
the British Royal relatives the Battenburgs became the "Mountbattens"

And then again in World War II:

vichysoisse became "V-soisse"
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:29 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:What I find most amusing about it is the aspect of history repeating itself.

During the wave of anti-German sentiment of World War I, we had "patriotic" renaming going on both in America and Britain:

sauerkraut became "victory cabbage"
weiners and frankfurters became "hot dogs"
the British Royal Family of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha became "Windsor"
the British Royal relatives the Battenburgs became the "Mountbattens"

Puts me on mind of Monty Python -

"Well now, the result of last week's competition when we asked you to find a derogatory term for the Belgians. Well, the response was enormous and we took quite a long time sorting out the winners. There were some very clever entries. Mrs Hatred of Leicester Said 'let's not call them anything, let's just ignore them' ... (applause starts vigorously, but he holds his hands up for silence) ... and a Mr St John of Huntingdon said he couldn't think of anything more derogatory than Belgians. (cheers and applause; a girl in showgirl costume comes on and holds up placards through next bit) But in the end we settled on three choices: number three ... the Sprouts (placard 'The Sprouts'), sent in by Mrs Vicious of Hastings... very nice ; number two..... the Phlegms (placard) ... from Mrs Childmolester of Worthing; but the winner was undoubtedly from Mrs No-Supper-For-You from Norwood in Lancashire... Miserable Fat Belgian Bastards."
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:02 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Puts me on mind of Monty Python -

"Well now, the result of last week's competition when we asked you to find a derogatory term for the Belgians. Well, the response was enormous and we took quite a long time sorting out the winners. There were some very clever entries. Mrs Hatred of Leicester Said 'let's not call them anything, let's just ignore them' ... (applause starts vigorously, but he holds his hands up for silence) ... and a Mr St John of Huntingdon said he couldn't think of anything more derogatory than Belgians. (cheers and applause; a girl in showgirl costume comes on and holds up placards through next bit) But in the end we settled on three choices: number three ... the Sprouts (placard 'The Sprouts'), sent in by Mrs Vicious of Hastings... very nice ; number two..... the Phlegms (placard) ... from Mrs Childmolester of Worthing; but the winner was undoubtedly from Mrs No-Supper-For-You from Norwood in Lancashire... Miserable Fat Belgian Bastards."

I loved this bit. Of course you have to spend time talking about Flanders to find the whole Phlegm thing really funny. What else can you call a native of Flanders?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:45 pm

James Roscoe wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:I loved this bit. Of course you have to spend time talking about Flanders to find the whole Phlegm thing really funny. What else can you call a native of Flanders?

For that matter, "Walloon" sounds like a portmanteau word: a combination of "wally" and "buffoon".

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:32 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:but the winner was undoubtedly from Mrs No-Supper-For-You from Norwood in Lancashire... Miserable Fat Belgian Bastards."

For some reason the image of David Suchet as Hercule Poirot came to mind as I read those words.

-Paul W.