The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Crotia & Burgundy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

TN: Crotia & Burgundy

by Mark S » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:22 pm

Recent notes:

Kirindija Vedran, Pelješko, Dingac, 2002
Hand-carried back from Croatia. Color is medium crimson red with a clear lightening on the edge. In the glass are deep plum, clove-spice, dried flowers (roses, peony). Sappy plums, some slight resin, dried flowers and basket straw, raisin and deeply steeped hibiscus tea. Slight ripasso in feel: sweet, lush, and heady (14.5% alkol), but finishing with gripping tannins that suggest this is still youthful. Has a body of a zinfandel but with the signature of a southern Italian, perhaps an Etna Rosso or an aglianico in feel. Interesting and wish I had another bottle of two to trace its evolution. B+/A-

Bitouzet-Prieur, Volnay 'Pitures', 1996
Recent experience has told me to open these '96 Burgundies. (Note that I tend to enjoy them on the young side when the potential is there rather than the finding the fading flavors attractive) Oh-oh, color has a noticeable sable rim. The only flavors coaxed out of the glass are old cherry and earth, but the kind close to either a graveyard or scrap heap. Tastes old and tired, and unworthy of its $35 pricetag. D-O-A. D/D-

Dom. Bruno Clair, Chambolle Musigny 'les Veroilles', 1996
Good thing I have another 96 for comparison value. Better color, this one is light cherry-maroon red. A lovely nose of wild strawberries footcrushed by hiking boots walking on diatomaceous earth. Old, opened strawberry preserves and field hay, Japanese green tea in the mouth. Tannins are fully resolved, with tangy redcurrants falling on the sappy finish. Not bad at all, especially appealing is the beautiful, unfading nose. B+ $40 on closeout.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: TN: Crotia & Burgundy

by Bill Hooper » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:31 pm

Mark,

Awesome TNs - Especially the Croat. I wish there was an importer with the balls to bring some into the U.S. or is there.....?

Prost!
-Bill
no avatar
User

alex metags

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:55 pm

Re: TN: Crotia & Burgundy

by alex metags » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:21 am

I don't know about that wine in particular, but various Croatian wines are available in the U.S. I've bought quite a few bottles in person from this store in the Bay Area, and the owner told me much of his business is through online sales: http://www.trymywines.com

Also check out this importer: http://www.bluedanubewine.com/croatia.html

Cheers,
al