The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: a miracle: a 2003 Bx that smells like Bx + more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: a miracle: a 2003 Bx that smells like Bx + more

by Saina » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:54 pm

Dinner for those who helped me move was accompanied by a couple nice wines:

Graham's Vintage Port 1991

There are some port fanatics who feel that 1991s are very mature already. I'm not a fanatic, but I have found this wine at least to be still very primary. It has fine depth to the nose with some savoury character that will develop into earthiness with a few more years. The palate is very primary in its fruit, with the tannins still noticable. There are some liquorice tastes which I find with maturing ports - but I still find this to be more an adolescent than a mature port. I'd give it 5-10 more years before opening more. But it is very, very good now!

d'Angludet 2003

I'm not much of a fan of this vintage. This wine however smells of Bordeaux! It is very ripe, but it is typical! This was a wonderful surprise. Having said that, I was still not enamoured (I never seem to be enamoured with the very ripe vintages....) because despite some savoury elements the fruit is a bit hollow and monolithic and lifeless. Curiously there is still a touch of freshness from the cassis and herbal fruit. The tannins are big, but the fruit copes with them and the whole is very balanced - despite the low acidity. I'd say this is a successful wine, but as I said, I'm rarely fond of the riper style of wine.

Felberjörgl Welschriesling 2005

A cheap wine (4,90€) that my brother bought back from Austria. He's not a wine buff at all, but this wasn't bad. It was rather neutral, but at least it was unspoofulated. It was fresh and grassy. For the price not bad, but really nothing to write home about.

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.