Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I just KNOW someone here other than me.......

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

I just KNOW someone here other than me.......

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:04 pm

watched the first Rachael Ray show? What did you think?
I thought it was fun, and left me with a happy smile on my face. Diane Sawyer made a good first guest, and tomorrow Oprah will be on. They are always good together.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Re: I just KNOW someone here other than me.......

by ChefCarey » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:18 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:watched the first Rachael Ray show? What did you think?
I thought it was fun, and left me with a happy smile on my face. Diane Sawyer made a good first guest, and tomorrow Oprah will be on. They are always good together.

You may be alone.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:52 pm

Yup, I missed it!!!!...but will catch tomorrows show of course. I was busy surveying the damage at our sports bar after the womens rugby final wrap-up party. Hear the striptease action was pretty good!!
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:58 am

I missed the first one because it was a Y-day (aerobics class at the YMCA). I did see the one this morning with Oprah. I thought it was good, but not enough time between commercials to fully develop a topic - but then I guess that's not the point in this type of show.

I did think the Pizz-O they made looked good. It was nice to see that the audience was rewarded with samples, too. Also, every audience member was given a new pair of shoes in the "ask Rachael" segment. Two friends with a "Rachael" story received a collection of knives and cookware. If any of you have checked, those items don't come cheap!

All in all, it was a good show. Time will tell if it's a keeper or not.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:51 am

I didn't see the show, but enjoyed the New York Times review. [Free registration required.]

A couple of extracts captured my impression of Ray:

On a set meant to look like a cozy, slightly tacky New York apartment (she said she decorated it herself), Ms. Ray casts herself as America’s big sister. In one of the show’s segments she helps a fan overcome a phobia with her trademark “can-do” spirit. It’s actually a “can’t-stop” spirit. Ms. Ray has more than four million books in print, four shows in regular rotation on the Food Network, her own food and lifestyle magazine, Every Day With Rachael Ray, and Oprah Winfrey as her patron. She seems more like the hyperactive little sister who is compelled always to outshine and outdo her older siblings.

But it’s a perfect fit. The frantically busy new talk-show format gives Ms. Ray’s outsize personality more room to crow and plenty of guests and strangers to eclipse. For her legions of passionately devoted fans, there is even more of her to love. For the not-so-silent minority of people who find her unbearable, the cooking parts, at least, are mercifully brief.

She shaved down her famous “30-minute meals” to a 60-second snack and a seven-minute meal and recommended making a salad with packaged arugula or baby spinach: cooks who brave killer bees and jump out of planes aren’t afraid of a little E. coli bacteria scare. As a clock on screen counts down the minutes, and members of the studio audience stare at their watches as if David Blaine’s life were at stake, Ms. Ray chatters away while peeling vegetables and swirling sauces. “Look at that groovy pesto, baby,” she said in the braying tone that sounds as if she is speaking not into the microphone but to a friend outside in the yard. “Oh, baby, baby, baby.”

I might Tivo a few episodes to fast forward through -- unlikely to become a regular though.
no avatar
User

Alan Uchrinscko

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:10 am

by Alan Uchrinscko » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:33 pm

I watched bits and pieces of it. It's obvious that they have high hopes for her because Oprah has a lot of Soccer Mom TV muscle and putting her on there (actually Diane Sawyer is an important guest, but I don't think she has the pull that Oprah does by a long shot) makes a stetment.

The show seemed enjoyable, although it seems to be geared more towards stay-at-home moms and the like rather than me so I doubt I'll become a regular viewer...
Alan Uchrinscko