The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Florence and Rome

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Florence and Rome

by Sam Platt » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:21 am

My wife and I leave for a six day trip to Italy this coming Sunday, September 24th. We will be spending three days in Florence and three days in Rome. I am looking any restaurant and wine bar recommendations in those cities.

Thanks,
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Florence and Rome

by Bob Ross » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:44 am

Sam, when visiting Florence, try to have lunch or dinner at the terrace at San Michele in Fiesole high above Florence. The service, food and wine are all excellent, and the views are tremendous.

If you are able to travel outside the city (about 20 clicks), here's a wonderful rustic restaurant with wonderful views; recco from the Times and my wine diary:

NYTimes letter: Da Delfina, via della Chiesa, Artimino Carmignano Tuscany. 12 miles north of Florence. Spectacular view of hills and faces a beautiful Medici villas built by Buontalenti as a hunting lodge. Simple but refined Tuscan food, about $75 for two with good wine. Charming people.

Lovely restaurant, superb view, charming people.

In Rome, I take pot luck -- there are so many good restaurants and they change so often, asking at your hotel works extremely well. Tougher in Florence which is much more touristic; Rome is much more like New York City with a more vibrant food and wine scene.

Have fun. Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: Florence and Rome

by Sam Platt » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:08 pm

Bob, Thanks very much for the recommendations. I will be without a vehicle while visiting, so Da Delfina may be difficult, but I will certainly seek out San Michele. It sounds wonderful. We will ask around when we get to Rome.

Thanks Again,
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins