The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

by Paul B. » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:15 am

Traditionally, I have tended to pass the whole Beaujolais Nouveau thing right by every fall. Edged on by the notion of it not being very good wine - or, perhaps, not "serious" wine, whatever that means - I just elected to forego all the hoopla.

But not this year.

I have really taken a sincere interest in the glee and that appears to come from this delightfully French phenomenon, and am going to make a point of buying a few bottles - of real Beaujolais Nouveau, and of some of our local spinoffs from Niagara.

Anyone else planning to do likewise? :o
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this year?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:25 am

Sure, Paul B....we can do an Open Mike! Maybe even get those party frolicers on the Chat to taste as they talk about the usual non-events in life.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:35 am

An open mike sounds like fun. Now we just have to brush up on our French ... :lol:

Actually, I wonder if the BN phenomenon is most popular in the Beaujolais region itself, or whether it carries over in to Paris as well?
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:53 am

I do it every year, just for kicks. A couple of times, many years ago, I made Leon Milot Nouveau and Foch Nouveau. Contrary to popular opinion, a well made Beaulolais Nouveau can age gracefully. Here's a link from a few years ago:
http://www.wineloverspage.com/user_subm ... 82482.html
Here's another interesting link:
http://www.intowine.com/beaujolaisnouveaufacts.html
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:17 am

Paul B. wrote:Actually, I wonder if the BN phenomenon is most popular in the Beaujolais region itself, or whether it carries over in to Paris as well?

None of the above, really. It started as a Paris event in the '70s, but on a much smaller scale, then got picked up in the US. Nowadays it's mostly American, I believe, with apparently a little spillover into Canada. I don't think it's ever been anything but business in Beaujolais, and it's certainly not a rustic folk tradition.

That being said, I generally taste a Nouveau or two every November, partly just because Wine Advisor readers seem to expect it, and I try to stay in the spirit of the thing, which is to celebrate the onset of winter with one last taste of the summer just past, and not a serious wine-geek activity.

Personally, I generally bypass the grapey Duboeuf bottlings and don't even <i>think</i> about the New World spinoffs. But if I can find a decent quaff from one of the less mass-market producers, I'm happy to swill a glass or two.
no avatar
User

Tyler Brebbermann

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:19 am

Hamburg, Germany

by Tyler Brebbermann » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:39 pm

There is also a modest BN following in Germany. We usually sold about 4 cases at the (rather small) restaurant I worked at during the week it came out. I don't know about the rest of Europe, but it would be interesting to hear.

Tyler
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:58 pm

Regardless of GDs marketing of Beaujolais Nouveau, the reason behind the hype (or lack there of) is the very real, very important celebration of the new harvest. Most countries around Europe have a version of this, and New wine isn't confined only to Beaujolais. I've had some interesting italian "Nouveau", and If I'm in Germany for the harvest, chances are that I'm drinking way too much Federweisse at some small, local wine festival. I don't buy a lot, and I choose wisely, but you can count on a bottle or two being consumed at the Hooper house this year if only to celebrate the fruit of another years labor.

Prost!
-Bill

Hey, 100 posts!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:39 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Hey, 100 posts!

Congratulations!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:37 pm

Robin Garr wrote:None of the above, really. It started as a Paris event in the '70s, but on a much smaller scale, then got picked up in the US. Nowadays it's mostly American, I believe, with apparently a little spillover into Canada. I don't think it's ever been anything but business in Beaujolais, and it's certainly not a rustic folk tradition.

I always thought it started as a London thing. Be the first in your club to bring wine from the new vintage, and all that. But it might have been Paris. Certainly not Beaujolais itself, where all you have to do is to go next door to get the first taste of Nouveau (Bleah! Wait instead a few months more for the real stuff!).

The Beaujolais, of course, cheer the "tradition" on as much as they can--it's a great way to get rid of their worst crap wine at inflated prices.

-Paul W. (not a sucker or rube for BN)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:19 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I always thought it started as a London thing. Be the first in your club to bring wine from the new vintage, and all that. But it might have been Paris.

Definitely Paris. They'd cut the ribbons to open the event at midnight, and the trucks would race north, trying to get their cargo to the city first, and revelers would stay up long into the night to greet it. Not because it was great wine. Because it was a hell of an excuse for a party.

In those pre-Chunnel days, racing trucks to London wasn't easy to do ... and those stuffy Brits weren't much for all-nighters on work days. :)

The Beaujolais, of course, cheer the "tradition" on as much as they can--it's a great way to get rid of their worst crap wine at inflated prices.

Well, that's a little overly confrontative and not really well rooted in reality. BN by nature is made as fast as wine can possibly be made, and it shows. But most of the producers have <i>some</i> pride. Yes, it's great for cash flow. But it's really the American market that's turned it from an autumn party into something more commercial and frankly less enjoyable.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:27 am

Robin Garr wrote:But it's really the American market that's turned it from an autumn party into something more commercial and frankly less enjoyable.

Are you saying that living people someplace else have more fun than I do? :?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:35 am

Howie Hart wrote:Are you saying that living people someplace else have more fun than I do? :?

Darn few of 'em do, Howie! :)
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:15 pm

What I hear is that DuBoeuf has eased off on the Nouveau hype, because people (well, Americans...) were beginning to act as though Nouveau was the only wine made in Beaujolais. Which is a slander against Beaujolais. The best thing I can say about the Nouveau is that it sometimes gives an indication of what the vintage will be like. I remember many '05s were unusually dark and substantial, and as the new cru Beaujolais have started coming in, it looks like it was a very good vintage indeed, on a par with '03.

As for the claim that Nouveau ages...you'll have to forgive my deep skepticism, Howie. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am saying it is highly unlikely bordering on miraculous. Then again, this is the Age of Miracles. :mrgreen:

On the other hand, we've had some Morgons--single-vineyard old-vine '03s--that look like they'll last for years.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:26 pm

I'm not sure I get the entire fascination with beajolais nouveau or traditional beajolais. It is all rather pedestrian to my tastes. I guess the gamay grape will never do it for me. I am willing for someone to prove me wrong.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: Anyone planning to do the Beaujolais Nouveau thing this

by Saina » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:28 pm

James Roscoe wrote:I'm not sure I get the entire fascination with beajolais nouveau or traditional beajolais. It is all rather pedestrian to my tastes. I guess the gamay grape will never do it for me. I am willing for someone to prove me wrong.

Aaaaargh!!!! :twisted: Gamay rocks! Bojo rocks! Try some Cru with a couple years age on it. Drouhin does some nice ones. Also Jadot's St-Jacques rocks.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:43 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:I'm not sure I get the entire fascination with beajolais nouveau or traditional beajolais. It is all rather pedestrian to my tastes. I guess the gamay grape will never do it for me. I am willing for someone to prove me wrong.

Aaaaargh!!!! :twisted: Gamay rocks! Bojo rocks! Try some Cru with a couple years age on it. Drouhin does some nice ones. Also Jadot's St-Jacques rocks.

I had a '96 Moulin-Vent back on the open-mike weekend we did that wine and I liked it all right, but it wasn't an ah-ha moment or anything. It was good, not great.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:46 pm

James Roscoe wrote:I had a '96 Moulin-Vent back on the open-mike weekend we did that wine and I liked it all right, but it wasn't an ah-ha moment or anything. It was good, not great.

You must be a lost cause then ;) But that's ok. No one's is forcing you to like stuff you don't like. (Except if the case is Musar.... :P )
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:56 pm

double post. Please excuse.
Last edited by Dave Erickson on Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:59 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:I had a '96 Moulin-Vent back on the open-mike weekend we did that wine and I liked it all right, but it wasn't an ah-ha moment or anything. It was good, not great.

You must be a lost cause then ;) But that's ok. No one's is forcing you to like stuff you don't like. (Except if the case is Musar.... :P )

You are welcome to pour me as many great bojos as you can when you come over to research your paper.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:29 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:As for the claim that Nouveau ages...you'll have to forgive my deep skepticism, Howie. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am saying it is highly unlikely bordering on miraculous. Then again, this is the Age of Miracles. :mrgreen:

On the other hand, we've had some Morgons--single-vineyard old-vine '03s--that look like they'll last for years.

I don't know if you read my link, but apparently the Michel Picard is a different animal and I was quite surprised. Good stuff even 2 years old. I wouldn't expect that from other makers. Here's another link:
Scroll down to Michel Picard
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:59 am

Howie Hart wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:As for the claim that Nouveau ages...you'll have to forgive my deep skepticism, Howie. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I am saying it is highly unlikely bordering on miraculous. Then again, this is the Age of Miracles. :mrgreen:

I don't know if you read my link, but apparently the Michel Picard is a different animal and I was quite surprised. Good stuff even 2 years old. I wouldn't expect that from other makers. Here's another link:
Scroll down to Michel Picard

Ah--two years isn't "ageing." :D
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:00 am

Probably not. I've had some beaujolais that I've liked very much but it's not been the nouveau. But I'm open to suggestions.
Howard
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:30 am

Robin, a few questions/comments:

I believe the tradition began in Beaujolais and Lyon in the late 19th century. In 1938, regulations were put in place to restrict early sale.

In 1951, these regulations were revoked by the UIVB; Beaujolais Nouveau was officially recognized, released on November 15, later in 1985 on the third Thursday of November to make it a weekend event.

I'm sure you are right that Paris was the first big city to make it a big deal, but there were predecessors.

I've read that currently 60% of Beaujolais is sold in this form; can it really be primarily a US phenomenum?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:53 am

Bob Ross wrote:I believe the tradition began in Beaujolais and Lyon in the late 19th century. In 1938, regulations were put in place to restrict early sale.

In 1951, these regulations were revoked by the UIVB; Beaujolais Nouveau was officially recognized, released on November 15, later in 1985 on the third Thursday of November to make it a weekend event.

Bob, since I wasn't there to see it done, I can't comment, but as a practical matter, I think it turned from a strictly local and relatively unknown event to a bigger deal only in the postwar (WWII) era, and extended to the US only in the '80s. Your information doesn't seem to me to counter that.

I've read that currently 60% of Beaujolais is sold in this form; can it really be primarily a US phenomenum?

Intuitively, that number sounds high to me, although if you compare production between Duboeuf and Brun, it wouldn't really be surprising to learn that a large segment of production is in Nouveau. And no, I don't think the phenomenon is unique to the US - the Brits partake, and I expect other European countries sip a little. But I have no reason to doubt that the US drives the economic bus.
Next