Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Would you buy bagged romaine hearts, and....(in relation to spinach recall)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Would you buy bagged romaine hearts, and....(in relation to spinach recall)

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:17 pm

that cute butter lettuce with the roots still growing and alive, in the plastic box?
I bought one of those butter lettuces two months ago and the darn thing lasted over 2 weeks in my refer and was very tasty and fresh the entire time. I kept it in a bit of water at the roots
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Would you buy bagged romaine hearts, and....(in relation to spinach reca

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:41 pm

Karen, I would, and do, buy bagged romaine hearts (usually Tanamura & Antle brand), and I don't see any point in changing this practice in light of the current scare, although I might be even more careful than usual about washing.

I've bought the rooted butter lettuce on occasion (and also, more frequently, a local delicacy, Kentucky Bibb lettuce, in similar format. I like the impression of freshness, but to be honest, I generally buy them and eat them for dinner the same day. I can't imagine one lasting two months around here. :)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Would you buy bagged romaine hearts, and....(in relation to spinach reca

by Paul Winalski » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:26 pm

Well, realistically, what's the alternative? Is J. Random Local Farmer any more trustworthy than the big agricultural outfits when it comes to fertilizer hygeine? I don't think so. I can't grow my own salad greens. It's either trust the produce I get at the supermarket or go without. Putting the current spinach scare into perspective, we're still talking about struck-by-lightning odds here of serious illness. I take a far greater health risk driving to work every day.

That being said, I'll be washing my fresh veggies more thoroughly from now on. But I won't stop buying packaged salad greens. The alternative is buying various whole lettuces, and that means letting them sit around in the fridge for a week or two as I slowly consume them. And that I think poses a greater risk than buying a pack of mixed salad greens that I consume in a few days--the longer the stuff sits around, the more opporunity for nasty bacteria to breed.

-Paul W.